Default Non resident registration of RV

My wife and I have just arrived in the USA and have the chance to purchase an RV but seem to be running into a lot of red tape with the licence of the van. Some sites say we need a US licence to register the van but to do that we need to be resident here. Can someone assist us with previous experience. We can get insurance and my wife has SSN and bank account

Default I like the notion of being "a perpetual traveler"

Quote Originally Posted by travelling turtles View Post
    My wife and I have just arrived in the USA and have the chance to purchase an RV but seem to be running into a lot of red tape with the licence of the van.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! We really can't provide legal counsel here -- your best bet is probably to speak with your diplomatic counsel, but we can share what we have learned over time.
    Some sites say we need a US licence to register the van but to do that we need to be resident here
    There is no US license in the USA. Each state has their own procedures and legal entities that regulate vehicle registration. As a rule, you do need to be a resident of a state to register a vehicle or have a legal representative handling that function for you. There are companies that will sell you vehicles and then guarantee to purchase them back from you when you leave. Where are you trying to purchase now? How are you getting insurance? How long do you want to own the vehicle?

Mark

Sorry was not clear we are in PA and can purchase from a friend of a friend but the van is unregistered at the moment so need to do that. We have found insurance for it so no problem there. We can only stay in the USA for about 2 months on this trip but wanted to keep the van and use it again when we return as we tend to spend 6 months in Europe (where we have a van) and 6 months in the USA/Canada. Somewhere on the site I noticed that a New Zealander said that he purchased every time he came here but I have been unable to find his posting again to try and get some more information as it appeared?? that he did not have a licence issued by any state here but used his own lcence

Default Local address is key

Quote Originally Posted by travelling turtles View Post
    Sorry was not clear we are in PA and can purchase from a friend of a friend but the van is unregistered at the moment so need to do that.
    If you have a local address then you could probably do what this international visitor is doing here.
    Somewhere on the site I noticed that a New Zealander said that he purchased every time he came here but I have been unable to find his posting again to try and get some more information as it appeared?? that he did not have a licence issued by any state here but used his own lcence
    I will try and find that reference -- but I think example he used was using his own New Zealand license to drive in the states, but he would have been unable to register any vehicle unless he was a resident of a state in the USA.

Mark