1. Default St. Paul. Mn To San Francisco

I'll be traveling to San Francisco It will be my first big road trip with me doing all the driving since my friend does not have a valid drivers license. Im a little nervous and would like some pointers on the trip and would also like to know if anyone else has driven that route or close to it.

Default When are you going?

Quote Originally Posted by jayke View Post
    I'll be traveling to San Francisco It will be my first big road trip with me doing all the driving since my friend does not have a valid drivers license.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! If the trip is soon, there is good chance you will hit some more winter weather -- so look at these tips and slow down!
    would also like to know if anyone else has driven that route or close to it
    I have driven cross country a couple dozen times in all types of weather. You are going to have fun!

Mark

Default Easy Trip

As Mark said, lots of people travel this route every day. Your fastest route takes you down I-35 to Des Moines and the across I-80 all the way to the bay.

The trip is a little over 2000 miles, so you should be able to cover the distance in 4 comfortably long days. That, of course, assumes good weather. Winter weather could delay you, but even if that happens, there are enough towns and enough other travelers on the road that you shouldn't have any serious problems.

4. Default mountain passes

i know there can be some pretty steep inclines and declines do i have to worry about heavy gas usage when climb steep inclines im driving a 92 crown vic if that helps.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! If the trip is soon, there is good chance you will hit some more winter weather -- so look at these tips and slow down!I have driven cross country a couple dozen times in all types of weather. You are going to have fun!

Mark
    Im leaving on friday morning

Default Relatively Smooth

I-80 isn't that bad for mountains. The trip through Wyoming avoids crossing a major pass in the Rockies. You do have to go over the Sierras in California, but that can't really be avoided. However, its not really a cause for concern. The Interstate system limits requires even mountain passes to be built at a relatively moderate grade, and while you might see a slight dip in gas mileage, it should be pretty insignificant.

A 92 is a pretty old car for such a major trip. Have you had it checked out to make sure it is up for the task?

7. Default Condition of the car

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I-80 isn't that bad for mountains. The trip through Wyoming avoids crossing a major pass in the Rockies. You do have to go over the Sierras in California, but that can't really be avoided. However, its not really a cause for concern. The Interstate system limits requires even mountain passes to be built at a relatively moderate grade, and while you might see a slight dip in gas mileage, it should be pretty insignificant.

A 92 is a pretty old car for such a major trip. Have you had it checked out to make sure it is up for the task?
    The car is in good condition today i had the oil changed and changed the oil in the rear differential my mechaninc told me it good for the road i have two spare tires with me. Im pretty well prepared and have been working on the car to have it road ready since dec