Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Default St. Paul. Mn To San Francisco

    I'll be traveling to San Francisco It will be my first big road trip with me doing all the driving since my friend does not have a valid drivers license. Im a little nervous and would like some pointers on the trip and would also like to know if anyone else has driven that route or close to it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 1998
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    10,059

    Default When are you going?

    Quote Originally Posted by jayke View Post
    I'll be traveling to San Francisco It will be my first big road trip with me doing all the driving since my friend does not have a valid drivers license.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! If the trip is soon, there is good chance you will hit some more winter weather -- so look at these tips and slow down!
    would also like to know if anyone else has driven that route or close to it
    I have driven cross country a couple dozen times in all types of weather. You are going to have fun!

    Mark

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Green County, Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,063

    Default Easy Trip

    As Mark said, lots of people travel this route every day. Your fastest route takes you down I-35 to Des Moines and the across I-80 all the way to the bay.

    The trip is a little over 2000 miles, so you should be able to cover the distance in 4 comfortably long days. That, of course, assumes good weather. Winter weather could delay you, but even if that happens, there are enough towns and enough other travelers on the road that you shouldn't have any serious problems.

  4. Default mountain passes

    i know there can be some pretty steep inclines and declines do i have to worry about heavy gas usage when climb steep inclines im driving a 92 crown vic if that helps.

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! If the trip is soon, there is good chance you will hit some more winter weather -- so look at these tips and slow down!I have driven cross country a couple dozen times in all types of weather. You are going to have fun!

    Mark
    Im leaving on friday morning

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Green County, Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,063

    Default Relatively Smooth

    I-80 isn't that bad for mountains. The trip through Wyoming avoids crossing a major pass in the Rockies. You do have to go over the Sierras in California, but that can't really be avoided. However, its not really a cause for concern. The Interstate system limits requires even mountain passes to be built at a relatively moderate grade, and while you might see a slight dip in gas mileage, it should be pretty insignificant.

    A 92 is a pretty old car for such a major trip. Have you had it checked out to make sure it is up for the task?

  7. Default Condition of the car

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I-80 isn't that bad for mountains. The trip through Wyoming avoids crossing a major pass in the Rockies. You do have to go over the Sierras in California, but that can't really be avoided. However, its not really a cause for concern. The Interstate system limits requires even mountain passes to be built at a relatively moderate grade, and while you might see a slight dip in gas mileage, it should be pretty insignificant.

    A 92 is a pretty old car for such a major trip. Have you had it checked out to make sure it is up for the task?
    The car is in good condition today i had the oil changed and changed the oil in the rear differential my mechaninc told me it good for the road i have two spare tires with me. Im pretty well prepared and have been working on the car to have it road ready since dec

Similar Threads

  1. Route Starting& FInishing in San Francisco
    By AntonioSpain in forum Spring RoadTrips
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-09-2007, 03:01 AM
  2. KS>Grand Canyon>San Francisco
    By maggieslp in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-07-2007, 12:42 PM
  3. Las Vegas to San Francisco
    By memetu in forum RoadTrip Field Reports
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-07-2006, 09:38 AM
  4. L.A-San Francisco
    By starla in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-12-2006, 08:19 AM
  5. A Dane going from Vegas to San Francisco
    By DaitheDane in forum Spring RoadTrips
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-20-2006, 12:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Find the Perfect Hotel
    Search RoadTrip Motels
    Enter city name

    Loading...



  • MORE STORIES