1. Default My Dream road trip!

Hello All!

I shall be leaving beggining of April on my road trip around north america. I am leaving from washington DC/New York and the plan is to do a massive circle around the continent: down florida, southern states, mexico, west coast, alaska, across canada, chicago, quebec, then back down to NY. Saying that, the plan has always been to have no plan, and go wherever I feel like! I have planned for about 6 months to do this.

Any tips, must sees, etc?

The plan is to buy a van for the trip but am still unsure wether I can, being british. From the research I've done, you have to be a citizen to buy a car, and for insurance, though not sure about this. If it is true, do you reckon I could get an american friend to do to all the paperwork and put myself on the insurance? The other option is to rent. I have been told I could get a van for around $200-250 a month, unlimited mileage. Having done a few google searches I can't see anything this cheap, more around the $600 at least. Can anyone point to any companies that may be this cheap?

Any help appreciated!

Tucson, AZ

Default Some Inconvenient Truths

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Yes, it is very hard for foreign nationals to buy and insure cars in the United States, largely due to the need for a permanent residence (rather than a Post Office Box) for the paper work (title, registration and the like). If you do have an American friend who is willing to buy a vehicle for you in his name, then adding you as a second driver, using his address, might be possible. Just be sure to work out with him and his insurance company exactly what liabilities and responsibilities he is taking on by doing this. Finally, I doubt very much that you will be able to find a vehicle that will hold up to the rigors of your proposed journey for less than $5000, and probably few if any at that price.

As for renting a van for $200-250 a month. It is NOT going to happen. Even such low end rental firms as Rent-a-Wreck charge about $1000/month for a van, and prices go up from there. If you're finding quotes of $600/month, you're doing very well indeed! Another thing to be aware of is that rental companies may not allow there cars out for an extended period like 6 months.

3. Default