1. Default First time in an RV

Hi I am coming to the States for 14 days in august with my family, a boy aged 15 and a girl age 12.We would love some help on suggested routes from San Francisco including Yosemite, Grand Canyon, las Vegas, Hollywood then back to San Francisco.
    We have not been to America before and most certainly have never been in an RV so any help and tips would be most welcome.

Default Lots of ideas here

Quote Originally Posted by woodsie View Post
    We have not been to America before and most certainly have never been in an RV so any help and tips would be most welcome.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! We have hundreds of tips and ideas for folks, like yourselves, who are new to RVs and new to travel in America. First, I would suggest you read this article about renting RVs and then print this article and plan to take it with you when you pick up your RV. Finally, you might find a quick scan of Alice and Jaimie's other articles of help to you as you plan your adventure. This article gives a great overview about the differences between national parks and national monuments (monuments are often less crowded!)

Mark

3. Default its probably the most popular road trip route here

Quote Originally Posted by woodsie View Post
    Hi I am coming to the States for 14 days in august with my family, a boy aged 15 and a girl age 12.We would love some help on suggested routes from San Francisco including Yosemite, Grand Canyon, las Vegas, Hollywood then back to San Francisco.
    Hello woodsie -- the route you roughly laid out is probably the most popular road trip route here. You might check the search engine for other folks' suggestions and particulars on their experience. Here is a good thread to get you started.

A a first bit of suggestion? What you've suggested is typically done pretty much as a loop trip-- either clockwise or counterclockwise. LA to Grand Canyon to Las Vegas to Yosemite to SF, to LA. It's doable in 14 days, since the locations you laid out are roughly a day's drive apart, although the LA to Grand Canyon leg is a long day's drive.

If you're in a RV, you have some additional flexibility on where to stay, as you would if you were prepared to camp. There are numerous parks and campgrounds along the way you can use to stay in. The costs for a RV rental + campground are roughly the same as for a medium class hotel, in my guestimate. However, you should be prepared perhaps that in the bigger cities that RVs may have limited campgrounds in the urban areas, and you may be driving the city streets somewhat to get to destinations.

Suggestions from folks here may want some additional input from you? For example, are there types of places you want to visit such as amusement parks, natural wonders, cultural icons (Hollywood, or the like) that you really want to see, or your kids want to see? Or are you out to experience traveling in the US just in general? Are the places the kids have really wanted to go or things to do? (Disneyland, surfing, beaches, etc.)

The one overall suggestion I might make is that August is the big summer vacation month here in the US, and in popular destinations you may be advised to get reservations if there are limited accommodations. For example, specific beach campgrounds may fill up early or the main lodges and hotels inside of national parks may fill up. You should be able to access reservations for all of these through the internet.

You should also be aware that August is a hot month in the US Southwest. You should be aware that temperatures (depending upon where you are) may be in the 100+F range, particularly in the dessert regions -- so you should be prepared for such temperatures, particularly if you are camping.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-19-2007 at 05:23 PM. Reason: added link for navigation

4. Default Thanks for that

My two kids are into very different things and hopefully both will find what they are looking for on this trip. The National parks are a must as is the Grand Canyon. Hollywood is top of the list for my daughter and maybe a theme park but really open to any suggestions just to get us started.Really want to get the feel for the country and see as much as we can in the time without feeling like we have done nothing but drive.

5. Default Some thoughts..

There was a recent thread which talked this route.

A couple of suggestions:

- Consider getting a National parks annual pass at the first National Park or National Monument you get to. Once you've paid the annual fee, it covers all the parks you'll be going to. At a minimum you'll be doing 2 (Grand Canyon and Yosemite), but you may be doing several others (Death Valley, Joshua Tree, etc.). I think it will pay for itself after 2 -- some parks are more, some are less. When you get a more detailed itenerary worked out, check out to see if this makes sense.

- If your daughter is into Hollywood, I'd recommend you stop at Universal Studios, Hollywood. This is sort of combination theme park and working Movie Studio near Hollywood. It is the home of the production facilities for Universal Pictures. There are several other locations around the LA area, but this is the most accessable, although I've never been fond of the theme park component of it. It's pretty close to some of the other Hollywood icons such as Grumman's Chinese Theatre and Hollywood & Vine, Warner Brothers, and the production facilities for many TV and movie places -- but is the main one set up for visitors.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 02-20-2007 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Preferred Link Format

6. Default thanks

Thanks so much for those tips. I will look into the parks pass.