1. Default Maine to Walt Disney World in July

We are traveling in my Suburban towing a 28' travel trailer with 3 kids. I have traveled this same trip with my parents 4 times growing up and have done 2 trips to NC in the last 5 years on vacations in April. But not towing something this big. I am concerned about going through NYC on Friday the 29th of June and right now we are planning on avoiding NYC all together. Our itinerary has us staying the night in Danbury, CT on the 28th, getting an early start on the 29th and taking 87 into NY. My parents take this route to go to my aunts in western NC but they arent concerned with getting back to 95. My idea is to take 287 and pick up the Jersey Pike just south of Newark. I dont want to deal with all the tolls and stopping and starting on the Garden State Parkway. Our goal is to get from Danbury to Richmond VA that day, possibly pushing to Fayetteville where my wifes sister lives, where we are planning on spending a day. It all depends on how I am doing driving, the time and how well the kids are riding. Any suggestions, alt routes, tips would be very helpful. 287 looks like it goes a little bit out of the way but is it a comfortable road and is it good shape? Thanks for any info.
    Last edited by wdwforus; 02-19-2007 at 08:20 AM. Reason: misspelling

Default A Big Right Hook

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forum.

There is a series of posts on alternative ways through and around New York City that begins with this post. I agree that trying to get your rig through NYC on a Friday leading into a summer weekend would be, shall we say, lees than optimal. Depending on the time of day, even I-287 can be a bear. It's a good, wide, well-maintained road, but it is NYC's beltway. One other high traffic area that you'd have to negotiate is the Baltimore-Washington region. In fact, if you are trying to go from Danbury to Richmond, it looks like you'll be hitting NYC at morning rush hour and Washington at evening rush hour. Getting less optimal all the time.

What I'd suggest, if you have no particular places to stop on the way down to Florida, is to skip the Bos-Wash corridor altogether. From Danbury, continue west on I-84 to Scranton, PA and then take I-81 down to southwestern Virginia. I-77 and I-26 would then take you south through Charlotte, NC and Columbia, SC to rejoin I-95 for the final run down to Disney World. I'd be surprised if, when you figure up the total miles for that route vs. the I-95 route, the difference were more than 150 miles in a total trip that's over 1400 miles long. And no tolls.

If it were my sanity at stake, that's the way I'd go, and it's a chance for you and the kids to see something new and different. I-81 through the Shenandoah Valley is a particularly tranquil alternative to trying to beat your way down through the east coast cities.

AZBuck

3. Default

We are planning on leaving Danbury at 4 am at the latest so I think we can avoid most of the NYC traffic. DC and Baltimore we figured we would have to deal with. My concern also is that the RV we have is a load for my truck and we dont want to push it on too many big hills and such like we might find in the western parts of Penn and Virginia.

Default Ah, Just So

OK, and I just reread your initial post and realized that you want to stop in Fayetteville too. Oh well, with a 4:00 AM departure from Danbury, you should be able to get through NYC before the start of rush hour. And with minimal stops along the way, you should also beat the peak of DC's traffic. Otherwise, you're just going to have to 'cowboy up'. So in your case, I-287 around New York would be your best bet. As I said, it is wide (3-4 lanes in each direction typically), and if you beat the rush hour, it should be relatively clear.

Good Luck

AZBuck

5. Default Cross the Hudson sooner than NYC

Quote Originally Posted by wdwforus View Post
    We are traveling in my Suburban towing a 28' travel trailer with 3 kids. I have traveled this same trip with my parents 4 times growing up and have done 2 trips to NC in the last 5 years on vacations in April. But not towing something this big. I am concerned about going through NYC on Friday the 29th of June and right now we are planning on avoiding NYC all together. Our itinerary has us staying the night in Danbury, CT on the 28th, getting an early start on the 29th and taking 87 into NY. My parents take this route to go to my aunts in western NC but they arent concerned with getting back to 95. My idea is to take 287 and pick up the Jersey Pike just south of Newark. I dont want to deal with all the tolls and stopping and starting on the Garden State Parkway. Our goal is to get from Danbury to Richmond VA that day, possibly pushing to Fayetteville where my wifes sister lives, where we are planning on spending a day. It all depends on how I am doing driving, the time and how well the kids are riding. Any suggestions, alt routes, tips would be very helpful. 287 looks like it goes a little bit out of the way but is it a comfortable road and is it good shape? Thanks for any info.
    Are you planning on continuing west on I-84 to I-87? That'd be the preferable way for you, as opposed to I-684 south from Danbury to I-287 west to I-87 south into NYC. From there, you'd have to cross the George Washington Bridge and it can be crowded even at that early an hour. Do my first idea - head west on I-84 from Danbury; cross the Hudson River over the Beacon-Newburgh Bridge; head to the Union Avenue exit in Newburgh (that's how you get to I-87 south, oddly there's no direct interchange between both highways); Union Avenue to the I-87 ramp, about 1/4 mile down the road; I-87 to I-287 south; I-287 to the New Jersey Turnpike south (exit 1) and from there it's I-95/I-295 until you hit NC. At the hour you're talking about, you should have a clean run of it. Tune into 880 AM (WCBS) which gives NYC metro-area traffic every 10 minutes to stay on top of anything going on. Hope that helps some.

Mike

Default Local's Routing is often the best

Mike,

Thanks for the detailed route suggestion! One idea I have been toying with is creating audio clips from local drivers sharing their insider tips for avoiding bottlenecks in their local towns and cities -- this is a great incentive.

Thanks,

Mark

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mocon View Post
    Are you planning on continuing west on I-84 to I-87? That'd be the preferable way for you, as opposed to I-684 south from Danbury to I-287 west to I-87 south into NYC. From there, you'd have to cross the George Washington Bridge and it can be crowded even at that early an hour. Do my first idea - head west on I-84 from Danbury; cross the Hudson River over the Beacon-Newburgh Bridge; head to the Union Avenue exit in Newburgh (that's how you get to I-87 south, oddly there's no direct interchange between both highways); Union Avenue to the I-87 ramp, about 1/4 mile down the road; I-87 to I-287 south; I-287 to the New Jersey Turnpike south (exit 1) and from there it's I-95/I-295 until you hit NC. At the hour you're talking about, you should have a clean run of it. Tune into 880 AM (WCBS) which gives NYC metro-area traffic every 10 minutes to stay on top of anything going on. Hope that helps some.

Mike
    We are avoiding 95 around Baltimore and DC by going Del 1 south to 299, to 301 to MD 50. Do you think it is any faster to go North then West then East then to go south then West thru NYC. I figured it out, its about 58 miles from Danbury to Fort Lee NJ, its about 140 miles the route you suggest. We will be crossing the GWB at 5 am and be past Exit 1 on the NJ Pike long before we come close to the Pike. I plan on being off the Pike by 9 am at the latest and that counts stopping for breakfast. The same distance going thru NYC is only about 85 miles. I cant see going over an hour out of my way towing a 28' rv to maybe avoid a little traffic. I have been across the GWB numerous times at different hours of the day and have never had a problem. Thanks for the suggestion, my father mentioned the same route

Default Another Small Option

Quote Originally Posted by wdwforus

We are avoiding 95 around Baltimore and DC by going Del 1 south to 299, to 301 to MD 50.
    Depending on the time of day that you get to the Washington area, you may want to consider an alternative to continuing on US-50 to the DC Beltway for your reconnection to I-95. That is to stay on US-301 rather than US-50 after Annapolis. While it's true that this is a surface street through the suburbs, it is four lanes and between 3:30 and 7:30 I-95/I-495 around Washington can come to an agonizing crawl. VA-207 provides a convenient connection to I-95 from US-301 at Bowling Green.

AZBuck