1. Default Planning a Southern States Road trip in Sept

This September my hubby and I are planning a roadtrip to some of the southern states. We have a rough idea of our route.

Starting in VA the through NC, SC, GA, maybe FL then through AL, maybe Miss. then up to TN and back toward VA.

Does anyone have any tips, advice, or places you recommend that we should see along the way?

We well be traveling in an RV with our 2 dogs. :)

Tucson, AZ

Default Just Some Ideas

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I recently gave some tips on a possible tour down the coast from Virginia Beach to Savannah that I think would serve you well. From there, you can drive across the heart of Georgia and Alabama where some places I've found particularly rewarding include FDR's Little White House in Warm Springs, GA; Montgomery and Selma, AL for their Civil Rights History; and Old Cahawba outside of Selma. On the far side of Mississippi are the great town and battlefield of Vicksburg. You can then back track a bit to Jackson and take the Natchez Trace Parkway up into Tennessee. On the east side of Tennessee, of course, there's Great Smoky Mountains National Park on the far side of which is Asheville, NC, an intriguing city in its own right and the southern gateway to the Blue Ridge Parkway back up into Virginia.

Springfield, VA (just outside of DC)

I actually posted recently asking about suggestions too. I'm also going to be taking a road trip in September along the south. Starting in VA too :) Going down to NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, LA, TX, OK, AR, TN, and back up to VA. I'm only going to be two weeks and have visited many places we'll be stopping at. I'm especially excited about Savannah because I've never been. I requested packets from every state I'm visiting. They give you state maps and a lot of info on different things to see. I love Chattanooga, TN. Haven't really been there in a few years, but excited about going back.

If you're interested in Civil War history at all, then Andersonville, GA might be interesting. I'm stopping there as well along the way. I love visiting Vicksburg as well. I've been there quite a few times while on road trips down to San Antonio and it's my favorite battlefield after Antietam. Side note about Antietam: if anyone can, go and visit during the anniversary. My history class, when I was in high school, participated in an event where candles were lighted for each soldier killed during the bloodiest day of the civil war. It is mind boggling once you see the numbers. Once you think it's finished, you see a whole new field full of candles.

I'll also be stopping in Raleigh (fav. bar is there), Charleston, Oklahoma City (I know you aren't going there, but thought I'd mention it since they're having a huge event celebrating the 100th anniversary), Nashville, and other little places along the way that catch my eye. I'm doing A LOT of research about the states along the way, so I'm sure I'll just add to the list.

Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-22-2007 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Added link to Jen's other post