Dallas, TX...or at least about 45min from it.

Default TX to Co - May 2006

My sis & I are planning a roadtrip from Dallas, TX to Durango, CO for about 7 days sometime during the last 2 weeks of May. If we have time, we may also drop down into NM for a stop by Roswell. We plan on avoiding Interstates in order to have the real roadtrip experience. We plan on riding the train between Durango & Silverton & possibly visiting Mesa Verde (I know some areas are not open until after Memorial Day).
    We are on a bit of a budget so any ideas on affordable but nice places to stay, places to eat, & things to do would be much appreciated. Also, any good photo stops you would like to mention. We don't mind getting "off the beaten path" but we would like to stay on paved roads or at least fairly nice roads, being 2 girls in their twenties, safety is always a concern.

Tucson, AZ

Default Alternative Routes

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The most direct way to get from Dallas to Durango does not entail all that much Interstate driving to begin with, just I-40 between Amarillo and Albuquerque. But even that can be avoided. As you're headed north west. you can take US-87 north out of Amarillo to Clayton, NM and then US-64 west to Raton, taking time out to drive to the top of an extinct volcano. A short (60 mi.) run up I-25 will bring you to Walsenburg, CO where US-160 west offers a very scenic drive through Wolf Creek Pass and on to Durango.

For your return drive, via Roswell, be sure to check out Petroglyph National Monument and the Salinas Pueblos in the Albuquerque area. (You are going to get a National Parks Pass, aren't you?) And from Roswell, either US-380 or US-180 offers a two lane alternative to I-20 back to Dallas.

Last edited by AZBuck; 02-18-2007 at 11:42 AM.