Thread: NC to IN

Default NC to IN

I'm going up to Indiana to visit a good friend of mine over Easter. I've got April 5-9 off of work (Thursday-Sunday) but this will be longest I've ever driven by myself.

I was thinking of leaving on Wednesday evening after I get off of work and hitting the road. It's a 10 hour drive to IN. I don't want to drive straight through (being up for 21 hours isn't all that much fun to me) mainly because I don't want to show up at his doorstep at 3 am.

I could drive from 5 to 10 or 11 which would put me at around 4-5 hours (I take my time and typically stop once an hour for a break).

My question is, has anyone taken this trip (Winston-Salem/Greensboro area of NC to Fort Wayne IN) and have any advice?

Thanks!

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

I don't want to drive straight through (being up for 21 hours isn't all that much fun to me) mainly because I don't want to show up at his doorstep at 3 am.
    Good call - especially on your first long trip. Your timeframe doesn't afford you a lot of time to spend at your friend's house, but the trip is most definitely doable. Some of these quick weekend trips can be quite memorable.

Looking at your break times and travel distance, I have roughly estimated you will be stopping near Charleston, WV - and stopping near this area will likely give you the best options for lodging. A little longer in the car will put you in Athens, OH - I'm not sure what there is there for lodging setup, but being a college town, you should have some luck.

For advice, we always recommend starting here. We have a lot of different planning information that you will find useful.

Thanks! I was thinking Charleston although it's not quite as far as I would like to go the first night. I normally don't make reservations but seeing as this will be a budget trip I want to have a decent place at a decent price, so I'll do some searching on that.

Oh, this isn't my first road trip by far. But the first one on my own. Back in the summer we went from NC to Toronto with no stops. Travelling in the middle of the night through WV was not/is not something I would recommend. However stopping at a 24 hour Wal-Mart and being the ONLY non-employee in the store was an interesting experience.

Default Correction

I'm off of work till Monday, not Sunday. So Thursday April 5-Monday April 9.

Default Ifs and Buts

If you'd like to make this more of a RoadTrip and less of a drive, there are a couple of off-Interstate roads that you should look into. The first is in West Virginia on your way to Charleston. So IF you get a good start out of Winston-Salem on Wednesday evening, and IF you make good time up I-77 into West Virginia (you want to drive this road when there's still a fair bit of light!) then try the Midland Trail (US-60) across central West Virginia into Charleston. I-64 east would make a good connector from I-77 to US-60.

The other road I'd recommend is US-52 down the Ohio River valley from Huntington, WV to Cincinnati, OH. If you overnight in Charleston, this would make a lovely morning's drive and get you to (and through) Cincinnati during the day between morning and evening rush hours. US-27 would than take you through the forests and farmland of eastern Indiana up into Fort Wayne. But in the end, these are just suggestions, the final choice is up to you and your schedule.

AZBuck

Oh cool, I'll def look into that. I've been on I-77 and yeah it's a daytime road for sure. Luckily by the time I go the days will have gotten longer and we'll have set the clocks back an hour.

I like the idea of the drive through Ohio, that might be better than the highways. I'm a believer in stopping to get a taste of the local area and you just can't do that from the interstates.

On the way back though it'll be all interstate/fastest route.

Default Ohio River Locks

Another thing you may be interested in seeing is the locks on the Ohio River. If you happen to be at one when there is a decent size barge going through, it's fun to watch - especially when a deck hand is walking along a moving boat and it looks like they're on a treadmill.

A quick search shows a lock near US-52 between Chilo and Neville - I have not been to this particular lock, but I imagine that would be as good a place as any to catch a glimpse of these historical utilities in action.