1. Default Two 18 yr olds, flexible budget, nice setup

Hey there, it has been one of my long time dreams to go on an American road trip. Thankfully, as my senior year in highschool draws to a close, that dream may become a reality. I would really appreciate any advice that you could give me in terms of making my trip a reality.

Myself and a female friend of mine want to go on a road trip starting in north-eastern Georgia. Our goal is the pacific ocean. Some places we would like to visit are Memphis, Nashville, Lousiana, Mississippi, Houston, Los Angeles and maybe even hop over the border to Chiuhuhua or Monterey, Mexico. All of these are flexibile if anyone has any better suggestions or routes.

Realistically, both of us could probably get 2000-2500 dollars each out of our bank accounts.

The choice of vehicles at this point is an F250, a Chevy Avalanche, or a 1998 s500 Mercedes. All of which have their advantages and disadvantages. We have also decided we are comfortable with roughing it, aka sleeping in our car or in tents. We both want this to be a trip that we'll always remember.

Given our funds, what could we realistically expect in terms of how long we could expect the trip to last, how much funds we could allocate towards fun (read fun as clubs, bars, roadside attractions, etc). We're also both willing to work, if necessary, on our trip as bartenders or waiter/waitress or other unskilled labor (note in Georgia you can get a bartending license at 18).

I really can't wait to hear back from all of you. Thanks for your time. I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong section of the forum, it just kinda seemed like it was worthy of discount trips because of the seemingly low fund pool.
    Last edited by Mass Tim; 02-14-2007 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Added whitespace

Default Are your parents on board with this?

Quote Originally Posted by rkh795 View Post
    Hey there, it has been one of my long time dreams to go on an American road trip.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! I can remember the excitement I felt as the end of my senior year approached and I could start on my own first solo adventure (as it turned out, it got "delayed" a year or two, but I still remember the feeling. Are both sets of folks on-board with this plan? You might consider taking this quiz and then also printing this and giving to your folks.
    Myself and a female friend of mine want to go on a road trip starting in north-eastern Georgia....
    and maybe even hop over the border to Chiuhuhua or Monterey, Mexico
    Read this post about traveling in Mexico!
    We're also both willing to work,
    It is pretty tough to get work on the road -- unless you are able and willing to take "root" for a while.
    I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong section of the forum, it just kinda seemed like it was worthy of discount trips because of the seemingly low fund pool.
    This is the right place for the thread!

Mark

3. Default

Hey, thanks for the welcome! So do you or anyone else have any suggestions in terms of what I mentioned in the main message? What kind of trip could we expect if we took say 4 weeks, pooled our collective 4000 dollars, and budgeted our lodgings pretty heavily? Is four weeks too much time? What kinds of sights and things would we be able to see and do?

Default You Should See What Some People Expect to Get By On!

I think, with $4000-5000 you should be fine for a month on the road, depending, of course, on how heartily you party along the way. I assumed that you would alternate between camping and low-end motels when I made my estimate. You really won't have time to establish yourself in or earn money at any jobs along the way that would significantly add to you nest egg. One of the best posts ever written here on how to estimate (and control) costs can be found here and more good ideas on holding costs down can be found in this article. One other thing to think about and plan for if either of you is going to be under 18 at the time of this trip is what to do in case any medical problems arise.

AZBuck