1. Default Death Valley, Sequoia, Kings, Yosemite (May)

Greetings from Denmark...

My girlfriend and I are planning a road trip to the US starting April 21st in San Francisco. This will be our first road trip ever so we are obviously not very experienced with this and need some help.

Most of the route is already more or less planned, but mainly the route between Las Vegas and San Francisco is still causing us problems due to closed roads and sights we want to see. We have read a lot of usefull threads in here already about this route but are still not sure what the best solution is during this time of the year.

I'm listing our entire route here:

Day 01: Copenhagen - San Francisco
    Day 02: Stay in SF
    Day 03: Stay in SF
    Day 04: Stay in SF
    Day 05: SF to Santa Maria
    Day 06: Santa Maria to LA
    Day 07: Stay in LA
    Day 08: Stay in LA
    Day 09: Stay in LA
    Day 10: LA to Laughlin
    Day 11: Laughlin to Grand Canyon SR
    Day 12: Grand Canyon to Page/Lake Powell
    Day 13: Page/Lake Powell to Bryce Canyon to Zion NP
    Day 14: Zion NP to Las Vegas
    Day 15: Stay in Vegas
    Day 16: Stay in Vegas
    Day 17: LV through Death Valley
    Day 18: ?
    Day 19: ?
    Day 20: ?
    Day 21: ?
    Day 22: Fly from SF to Orlando (need to be at the airport at 10 AM)

As you can see it's mainly the route from DV to SF we need help on but if anyone has comments to other parts of the route we'd love to hear it. What are the must-sees on this route? Are we missing out on anything?

We leave LV on May 7th and plan to head out through Death Valley. We want to end up at Yosemite before returning to SF and would love to go through Sequoia and Kings Canyon on the road to Yosemite. From what I can read in here this is not the easiest route and we do not expect the Tioga Road to be open so we have to enter Yosemite from the South.

With the number of days available what which route would the experienced road trippers recommend?

Default It could happen this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Burgers View Post
    Greetings from Denmark...
    & Greetings from America! Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    Most of the route is already more or less planned, but mainly the route between Las Vegas and San Francisco is still causing us problems due to closed roads and sights we want to see.
    It is really hard to predict the snowfall of early May, thus far we have had much less snow than is either normal or healthy in the Sierra Nevada mountains and it is still possible that Tioga will open early this year. There is even a "friendly bet" running on this question right now....
    As you can see it's mainly the route from DV to SF we need help on but if anyone has comments to other parts of the route we'd love to hear it.
    There is lots to do around Las Vegas -- here are some ideas and our tips for our home town...

What are the must-sees on this route? Are we missing out on anything?
    We want to end up at Yosemite before returning to SF and would love to go through Sequoia and Kings Canyon on the road to Yosemite. From what I can read in here this is not the easiest route
    Actually the route is easy -- there are lots of choices -- all are weather-related. But if Tioga is still closed, in general we would recommend CA-190 to CA-178 to Bakersfield and then north on the Porterville Highway (CA-65) to CA-198 and into Kings Canyon National Park and Giant Sequoia National Monument.

Mark

3. Default

Actually the route is easy -- there are lots of choices -- all are weather-related. But if Tioga is still closed, in general we would recommend CA-190 to CA-178 to Bakersfield and then north on the Porterville Highway (CA-65) to CA-198 and into Kings Canyon National Park and Giant Sequoia National Monument.
    Thanks for the quick answer. I guess we have to book hotels in advance so unfortunately we can't count on Tioga to be open.

We actually thought of staying at Three Rivers so your route fits perfect for that. Do you have any idea how long it would take to drive from Las Vegas to Three Rivers on this route? As far as I can see it's about 140 miles through DV and 450 more to Three Rivers. Is it a big detour instead of going straight to Yosemite?

Default Why the need to pre-book lodging?

Thanks for the quick answer. I guess we have to book hotels in advance
    one of the appealing things about American RoadTrips is that you don't have to pre-book lodging in many cases -- it is all about what level of risk you find interesting and/or acceptable.
    We actually thought of staying at Three Rivers so your route fits perfect for that.
    If you went the most direct route, it would be ~ 390 miles and would take about six hours. If you spent a couple of hours in Death Valley and use CA-178, far more scenic and wonderful the trip will take about 8 hours.
    Is it a big detour instead of going straight to Yosemite?
    I am not sure I understand -- do you mean not stopping by Kings Canyon and Sequoia? If so, and you were to drive non-stop from Las Vegas to Yosemite (with very few stops) it would take you about 9-10 hours.

Mark

5. Default

If you went the most direct route, it would be ~ 390 miles and would take about six hours. If you spent a couple of hours in Death Valley and use CA-178, far more scenic and wonderful the trip will take about 8 hours.
    We don't want to miss out on Death Valley but I'm surprised this trip is only about 8 hours. I was informed it would be close to 600 miles. Sounds great though...

Assuming the Tioga road is open but we still want to visit Sequioa and Kings Canyon would this route still be the one to go for?

And one final question, is Sequoia and Kings Canyon open for visitors regardless of the weather? Don't want to end up in Three Rivers if everything is closed :-)
    Last edited by Burgers; 02-13-2007 at 08:06 PM.

Default Mixing Apples and Oranges

We don't want to miss out on Death Valley but I'm surprised this trip is only about 8 hours. I was informed it would be close to 600 miles.
    Nope.
    Assuming the Tioga road is open but we still want to visit Sequioa and Kings Canyon would this route still be the one to go for?
    Nope! I think you need to look at a map. If Tioga Pass is open, then Yosemite would be your first stop and I doubt you would want to then turn south and go to Sequoia and then turn around and head to San Francisco!
    And one final question, is Sequoia and Kings Canyon open for visitors regardless of the weather? Don't want to end up in Three Rivers if everything is closed :-)
    No, both are subject to road closures due to snow, floods, mudslides, etc. But you will know about conditions before you leave Las Vegas!

Mark

7. Default

I think we will pre-book lodging for a few days in Yosemite Village and wait with the rest until we get to Vegas. Hopefully Tioga opens early this year though I doubt it. May 9th would be the earliest opening date since 1987 so it's probably a long shot.

Thanks for your help once again...

8. Default Geetings from Denmark

Hej Burgers

Greetings from Denmark, Copenhagen. I am a Dane living in Denmark but have lots of family on the West coast (og København).

I guess you could call this quite a coincidence but I will also be taking a trip to pretty much the same destinations though I will be driving from San Fran to Las Vegas. I have been doing a good deal of research but still need to finalize a few details. I would really appreciate it if you could bother to email me or post an update on your trip when you get back (or before you go!). This would really help me out.

I have pasted a few links down below that might help you out :

Distance calculator - straight line :
    Mountain Highways - open or not?
    Tioga Pass Road Opening and Closing Dates (though this will most likely be closed when you are there)
    Death Valley Mines and Ghost Towns (Rhyolite sounds interesting)
    Some good descriptions of the national parks with links
    A map showing some of my intended roadtrips
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-20-2007 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Preferred URL Format

Default Never would have guessed correctly!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    I will also be taking a trip to pretty much the same destinations though I will be driving from San Fran to Las Vegas.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! When I saw the username "BigFoot" I would never have guessed that you would hail from Denmark -- but glad you found us. As you may know, the route from San Francisco to Las Vegas is the #1 most discussed route on this Forum. At last count there were over 2400 threads addressing this roadtrip route. If you use the search (drop-down utility in the green navigational bar) and enter San Francisco and Las Vegas you will begin to see some of those threads. Also be sure to look at the bottom of each page for more ideas. With respect to Tioga Pass we are running a poll on when it will open this year -- the Sierras have very little snow this year.... (Scary actually).

Do get you going -- here is a thread with GREAT links to about a dozen more threads along your route!

Happy Planning!

Mark

10. Default

Thanks for the welcome message Mark. And thanks for the links - I did see the 'Road to Vegas' forum but didn't realize there were so many threads. A great resource for those of us planning a trip.
    I will definitely start a thread of my trip when I'm back (end of July)...if I make it back : )

By the way, 'What day will Tioga Pass open in 2007?'
    -June 15, 11:55 pm, no doubt about it : )

{Editor's Note: Just to resolve any future reader's confusion -- I think Bigfoot is referring to the hundreds of threads and posts about routes between San Francisco and Las Vegas of which six of them, (loaded with all sorts of information) can be read here. The 'Road to Vegas' Forum is a research-gathering Forum about Interstate 15, for the most part)}
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-20-2007 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Added navigational info