1. Default Detroit-Boston this weekend (have questions)

I will be driving to Boston from Detroit this Thursday. Can you briefly tell me what to expect during this road trip (ie. mountains, bridges, etc). Also, I've heard news reports of alot of snow in NY, will this effect my road trip?

Thanks! Any information/resources that you provide is greatly appreciated.

db

Default Bullseye

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I've got some bad news for you, it looks like Upstate NY will continue to get pounded into the end of the week. Even if you don't see a lot of snow fall, it looks like blowing and drifting could also be an issue.

Slow down and be prepared for this trip to take some extra time.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-13-2007 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Added navigational link

Default Just the facts

What is your planned route? The quickest route is generally to I-90, then into Niagra and cut up into Canada and get into Michigan from there.

As for your question about bridges - I see three major bridges on this route.
    1. Crossing the Hudson River
    2. Crossing into Canada from New York
    3. Crossing into Michigan from Canada

We've been very fortunate in MA this year - negligible amounts of snow (though there is supposed to be a big storm tonight). NY, on the other hand, has been consistenly pounded right along.

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Tim View Post
    What is your planned route? The quickest route is generally to I-90, then into Niagra and cut up into Canada and get into Michigan from there.

As for your question about bridges - I see three major bridges on this route.
    1. Crossing the Hudson River
    2. Crossing into Canada from New York
    3. Crossing into Michigan from Canada

We've been very fortunate in MA this year - negligible amounts of snow (though there is supposed to be a big storm tonight). NY, on the other hand, has been consistenly pounded right along.
    tag...and small hijack, but not really since it is about travel between the same two points. I am making the reverse of this trip in mid-May (Boston to Ann Arbor, MI). Is going through Canada really the best way? I thought it would be much more of a headache especially with them requiring passports to cross boarders now (or soon).

Default Shorter is Better, eh?

Passports aren't required for land travel until January 2008, still you should have proof of citizenship such as a birth certificate any time you are leaving the country.

If you have the proper documents, then yes cutting through Canada will be shorter and save you some time. I just did the trip from Michigan to New York via Onterio in December, and even with holiday traffic, I was never delayed for more than 10 minutes at the border.

nice, thanks!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-25-2007 at 09:16 PM.