1. Default NC-UT: Early March

I will be traveling from Eastern NC to Provo at the beginning of this coming month. Here are some relevant stats: two females, 25 and 34; 2 cats in a large single carrier. The younger of the two has more experience in road trips and driving, but the older one will probably be doing more of the driving since it is her car and her trip in the first place. The cats are unused to road trips, I am trying to break them in.
    The car: 2001 Kia Spectra, 4-door hatchback. Recently turned over 100,000 miles.
    I am the older of the two. I don't like driving all that much, but this is a necessary life change and I want to do this with her.
    I have read the hints about the emergency box to take with, and know about the general car maintenance. I've also read some of the information about traveling with cats.
    Necessary stops will be in the Kansas City area to see her mother, and the OKC area to see mine, with overnight stops in each. We don't have a schedule, so we are looking to play some of this by ear.
    I also have the newest rand-mcnally atlas and a farmer's almanac for weather planning.
    So my questions are mainly things about recommended routes, hints about driving through mountains and such. I think I want her to see Asheville NC, and I know I would have to go very far out of range to avoid mountains on this end. Any tips for a paranoid driver to be as safe and sane as they can?
    Anything other than the tips I have not mentioned? Anyone want to take over my brain to do the driving for me?
    Oh, and I am Yuki. Hi. *laugh*

Default Real-time weather is better

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki no Ningyou View Post
    I will be traveling from Eastern NC to Provo at the beginning of this coming month.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    Here are some relevant stats: two females, 25 and 34; 2 cats in a large single carrier.
    One of the Forum Moderators has a great deal of experience traveling with a cat and you might ask Gen for some tips. Also, here is an article about some things to consider.
    The car: 2001 Kia Spectra, 4-door hatchback. Recently turned over 100,000 miles.
    Make sure the car has been throughly checked before starting this trek -- here are some winter driving tips that might be helpful.
    I have read the hints about the emergency box to take with, and know about the general car maintenance. I've also read some of the information about traveling with cats.
    Excellent --
    I also have the newest rand-mcnally atlas and a farmer's almanac for weather planning.
    Also excellent -- but I wouldn't rely on a farmer's almanac for current weather info -- pick-up a low-cost weather radio and/or get a list of the recorded telephone current weather conditions (the 511 system) for each state and check them as you go. You might also find a portable CB a handy tool -- nearly all CB's have built-in weather radio channels.
    Any tips for a paranoid driver to be as safe and sane as they can?
    Slow down, stay alert and read some of these tips!

This is going to be a fun adventure!

Mark