1. Default Los Angeles to Yosemite in December...quick question

Hi,

I had planned on flying from LA to Yosemite but it seems as though the airport situation is pretty bad. So now I've decided to drive. The trip is going to be for New Years so we'll leave LA on the 28th of December and return on Jan 1. I know it's a pretty short little trip but we'll be leaving after work on that Friday so I was hoping someone would have suggestions on somewhere nice/cool to stay in between the two places without really going out of the way.

Thanks.

Default What airport would that have been?

Quote Originally Posted by kapast View Post
    I had planned on flying from LA to Yosemite
    I am very curious -- what airport were you going to use near Yosemite? In any case, Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    So now I've decided to drive. The trip is going to be for New Years so we'll leave LA on the 28th of December and return on Jan 1.
    Depending upon where you start in LA, it is about 315 miles to Yosemite and I assume you will be going the fastest route(?) I-5 to CA-99 and CA-41 up to the park. If it were me, I would plan to drive most of the way there -- staying overnight at either Oakhurst or Mariposa to maximize the time in the park. Alternatively, you could see if you could get a booking at the Yosemite Bug in Midpines, California. Yosemite Bug is about as cute as you will find in the Sierras and downright funky (in a good way). What really sets this place apart is the breadth of the lodging experience. There are hostel rooms ~$18/night and upscale themed rooms at ~$120/night and everything in between. The food is great there too!

Mark

Default Fat

Fresno calls its Airport, "Fresno-Yosemite International," so I could see where that would sound good to a potential air traveler, at least before they figured out that its a solid 60 miles from the terminal to Yosemite.

Getting a jump on planning huh?