1. Default Solo from Victoria, BC to Boston, MA in 10 days?

Hi there! I've been browsing this website and forum for quite some time now. Awesome information here!

I'm going to be moving to Boston for a year and I wanted to drive my Honda Fit there. I'm a bit nervous since this is my first road trip and it is the middle of winter.

My goal is to do the trip safely and comfortably i.e. I don't want to be burnt out when I arrive and I don't want to fall asleep while driving! Sightseeing is less important here.

Here's my rough schedule. I'll probably stay along the I-90 the entire time and the only place I want to see for sure is Mt. Rushmore.

Fri, Feb. 16:
    take Coho ferry to Port Angeles and then drive to Seattle

Sat-Sun:
    Seattle to Billings (2 days)

Mon:
    Billings to Rapid City

Tue-Wed:
    Rapid City to Madison (2 days)

Thu:
    Madison to Detroit

Fri-Sat:
    Detroit to Albany, NY (2 days)

Sun:
    Albany, NY to Boston

I'm looking at some long days of 6-8 hours of driving. I'll break the morning up into two legs of two hours each and then stop for lunch and take an hour nap. Then drive another couple of legs in the afternoon and start looking for hotels at dinner time.

So does this sound doable? I'm open to any other suggestions, tips, and sights to see!

Default A very reasonable schedule

Quote Originally Posted by loom_weaver View Post
    Hi there! I've been browsing this website and forum for quite some time now. Awesome information here!
    Well, thanks! and Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    I'm a bit nervous since this is my first road trip and it is the middle of winter
    Here are some winter driving tips and a post about solo roadtripping.
    I'm looking at some long days of 6-8 hours of driving. I'll break the morning up into two legs of two hours each and then stop for lunch and take an hour nap. Then drive another couple of legs in the afternoon and start looking for hotels at dinner time.
    Sounds very reasonable. Someone in a bigger hurry could cover this distance in 5-6 days and so 10 is positively relaxed by some comparisons.

Mark

Default Plenty of time

Sunday evening can be quite busy on I-90 in Massachusetts, but you have plenty of time to make the trip - I would suggest, if the weather is cooperative, that you take MA-2 across the state. It is a very nice ride and with the time you have, you'll be able to stop and take in some of the sights.

4. Default Chicago

Hi there again! I'm writing from Billings, MT and the road trip has gone well so far. I love the scenary in Montana.

Thanks again for your responses.

The days have been decent but a bit long. I usually start at around 9 AM and by the time 5 PM rolls around I'm ready to stop. That's around 6-6.5 hours of driving.

I'm looking at getting through Chicago now. I hear there is massive construction going on so I think I have two options. One is to bypass all the way down to Indianpolis. The other is to go through Chicago at night.

What would you suggest? And if I go through at night what would the best time be? 1 AM?

5. Default

I talked with the guy from the tourist info center in Illinois and he said the best time to go through was at 2 AM. I did that and the I-90 was practically empty.

Apart from the 6-7 tollboths, I went through Chicago at 60 mph.

The rest of the trip went well and I arrived in Boston. I lucked out with the weather and had clear days almost the entire way.

Overall I did 9 days worth of driving. Two days were short (2-3 hours) and two were long (10-12 hours). The rest averaged around 6-8 hours. In hindsight I'd give myself even more time because I ended up doing quite a few miles at night. However I never felt rushed during this trip.

---

Note that I'd add about 30-40% to driving hours. That includes meal stops, bathroom breaks, and most importantly naps! So for the day I went 600 miles, for me that turned into 12 hours of driving over 16 hours timespan. One heck of a long day.
    Last edited by loom_weaver; 02-26-2007 at 08:58 PM.

Default Putting it into Practice

Quote Originally Posted by loom_weaver

I talked with the guy from the tourist info center in Illinois
    I've seen it recommended over and over again on these forums that people ask the locals: the welcome center hosts, the park rangers, their waitresses, anybody with good local knowledge. I'm glad to see it put to use, and so productively.

Thanks for the report.

AZBuck