Default Vehicle Choice?!

Hi Everybody, My name is Tony and I'm from the UK, I arrive in California on May 21st for a three week vacation with my family, we intend to travel from LA to Cambria, San Francisco, Yosemite National Park, Bishop or Bakersfield (depending on the Tioga Pass), Death Valley, Las Vegas, San Diego and then back to LA. Considering the route we are taking, the climate we are likely to encounter and some of the sights that we may like to see on the way, which type of car would be the smarter choice to rent, a convertible for it's better all round vision (we don't really want to miss anything!) or would a four wheel drive vehicle be more suitable at this time of year and on some of the roads that we may use?
    Thanks for any advice you can give.

Default If Money is No Object...

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forum.

...then I'd opt for the convertible. The Southwest in Spring can be drop dead gorgeous and if you're lucky, not only will the convertible let you see all the sights, but smell all the flowers in bloom and feel the sunshine on your face. By the same token, I'd skip any 4WD or AWD SUV, because they're just going to close you up in a box and you won't need their particular virtues anywhere on your trip. However, both of these options are going to come at a fairly stiff premium, and it's up to you whether that extra cost justifies stepping up from a standard or intermediate sedan, which would be a comfortable way to travel.

AZBuck

Default Everyone does it, but....

Quote Originally Posted by RoadTripper 0208 View Post
    or would a four wheel drive vehicle be more suitable at this time of year and on some of the roads that we may use?
    If you rent a 4wd vehicle from any of national chains, the small print in the contract will prohibit the use of the vehicle on ANY un-paved road. I would bet that hundreds of renters break this contract every day, but if something untoward were to happen to that vehicle -- the penalites can be quite severe. For that reason, we always suggest that you choose a car/vehicle on the basis of on-road performance and comfort.

Mark

Thanks for your advice, already have a convertible booked but then I started to get a little nervous that it wouldn't be up to the task (climate and road condition wise), it's always best to ask those who know!