Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CB's

Default CB radios

I have been wanting to get a cb for a while now, and I was wondering how I could find someone to install one. I'm thinking a Cobra, but I'm not sure yet. Does anyone else on here have a cb, and some advice they could give me?
    Last edited by hippyman; 02-08-2007 at 05:09 PM.

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Truck-stops, radio shops, auto-audio retailers

Greetings hippyman!

I've heard through the grapevine that some truck-stops do CB installs and repair, some Radio enthusiast shops would also be a good place to look. Finally, any automotive audio retailer should be able to install one, as it is very similar to most of the stereos they install, sans wiring through the speaker system and such.

-Brad

Default Yellow Pages is a good place to start

Quote Originally Posted by hippyman View Post
    I have been wanting to get a cb for a while now, and I was wondering how I could find someone to install one. I'm thinking a Cobra, but I'm not sure yet.
    I have owned and used CB radios since the days when they were registered with the FCC. I can still recall my registration "call-sign" although there is not much call to use it these days. You might find this "background" article about CB's useful and this section has some great CB resources. Like Arizona Brad mentioned, you can purchase CB's at any truck stop, or electronic retailer. If you have a Fry's nearby, they have an excellent selection. Failing that, look at a telephone book Yellow Pages and look under Radios. There are also a number of CB-related threads on this Forum.

Mark

Can you still register a handle with the FCC?

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Fcc

The FCC has all but gotten out of the CB business, except for regulating it of course. I don't think you can register call signs or 'handles' for CB any more with the FCC, but if I recall correctly, if you get a callsign for another service, such as GMRS, you use that call sign on the CB band as well.

-Brad

Installation of a CB radio is easy, in most cases its one wire to a power source and one wire to a ground. A magnetic antenna to attach to the roof of the vehicle makes it easy to remove. Installing the radio yourself is easy and the reception will vary depending on the radio type and antenna. In most cases self installation will get you a reception of 2 or 3 miles which will be all you need for highway driving. Unless you plan to use the radio often then you may want to have it professionally installed, they will match the radio and antenna and give you maximum reception.

CBís can be purchased at most electronic outlets like radio shack, even wall mart has them. Although most car radio instillation outlets will be happy to sell and professionally install one for you at a modest price.

The days of registering with the FCC for CB use are long gone. CB radios are not as popular as they were 30 years ago but they can still be very useful today. They are ideal for traffic information. On my last trip there was an accident on Interstate 80 somewhere in Iowa, traffic was backed up for miles! With the information we got from the CB we were able to bypass that accident with ease and continue on our way without any delay. While on the highway truckers can be your best friendís.
    Personnel I would not go on a road trip without a CB.

I know that people dont register them anymore, but what I want to know is "Can you register a handle?"
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-09-2007 at 08:42 PM. Reason: navigation

Default We don't know what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by hippyman View Post
    I know that people dont register them anymore, but what I want to know is "Can you register a handle?"
    Register with whom? In the 1970's the call signs were registered, but "handles" were never registered. Do you mean register like a trademark registration? I am sorry but we don't know what you are asking.

Mark

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default I think I understand...

Mark & Hippyman,

There is somewhat of a misunderstanding amungst people with people not familiar with radios that there is a way to register a handle, such as 'rubberduck', to prevent people from going by the same name.

All handles were, and still are, nothing more than a familiar name to use when you did not have a callsign. There is nothing out there to prevent others from using your handle, but a callsign is different.

Because I am GMRS certified, my callsign is WQCL394, and FCC rules state that since I have a callsign, that is my 'handle' on the CB. However, as a 'familiar handle', I go by either 'Cascadia' or 'Cascadia4', as long as I use my callsign per FCC rules.

If you don't have a callsign, you make up a handle and use it. If you choose, you can be 'hippyman' on the radio, but there is no way to register it anywhere. There's no way to govern it, and no rational for doing so. There may be a 'rubberduck' in Nebraska, one in Alaska, and 3 in Florida, and their signals may never meet, and no one knows that there's more than one 'rubberduck' until they happen to cross.

If you want something that no one else can legally use, you'll have to get a callsign (GMRS license is the easiest). Otherwise, you're on your own as far as what you want to be called and who can use it.

-
    Brad

Default Yeah, that about sums it up

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Brad View Post
    There is somewhat of a misunderstanding among people with people not familiar with radios that there is a way to register a handle, such as 'rubberduck', to prevent people from going by the same name.
    I dunno, before this Hippyman made the query, I had never heard of anyone asking about registering a handle. Incidently, the original call signs from CB radio are still valid. Mine is KABC4291 and I still use it "once in a blue moon." My handle for years was "Silver Squid" which was the handle I used during helitack fire-fighting operations for the USFS. These days, I usually answer to "RoadTrip America."

Mark