Default Vehicle Question

Hi, I just joined today, and thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Colby Hardison, I am from Texas, and I love road travel, which is why I'm glad I found this forum. I travel with my dad everytime we go somewhere, and our favorite place to go is of course, Vegas. We have a 19956 Ford Econoline Van with a conversion right now, but my dad is talking about trading it in for something a little smaller and I was wondering what the best option would be. I should tell you that my legs are long, and I am a big guy, plus my dad has a bad back. I want to get a van w/o a conversion, but he's thinking about an suv, so I can drive some. We're even talking about a cross country road trip. What vehicle would be the best option? Please reply.

Default Too many variables

Its hard to say what the best option would be because there are so many variables.

If you don't need the extra space, then smaller can be much better because of improved handling and gas mileage.

If you are planning to sleep in your vehicle, then its hard to beat a van.

SUVs have their advantages too, but they aren't the best choice if you are looking for something to replace a camper. They also can be just as big as a van, so I'm not sure why you would be able to drive an SUV, but not a van.

I guess I would lean towards sticking with a van, but if you are seriously considering a cross country trip, you might want to stick with what you have and then look at downsizing at the end of your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Its hard to say what the best option would be because there are so many variables.

If you don't need the extra space, then smaller can be much better because of improved handling and gas mileage.

If you are planning to sleep in your vehicle, then its hard to beat a van.

SUVs have their advantages too, but they aren't the best choice if you are looking for something to replace a camper. They also can be just as big as a van, so I'm not sure why you would be able to drive an SUV, but not a van.

I guess I would lean towards sticking with a van, but if you are seriously considering a cross country trip, you might want to stick with what you have and then look at downsizing at the end of your trip.
    We always sleep in motels, and the wind in the mountains always seems to have more effect on a van. Now about downsizing after the trip, the van we have is 12 years old right now, and we dont want it breaking down on the road. After the radiator went out in the AZ desert one time, I think my dad has been a little paranoid.

Default Well then...

Since you aren't using the van for sleeping, then get whatever you want.

There are hundreds of possibilities. An SUV can have just as much wind resistance as a van, and since you don't need a huge amount of room for camping gear or anything like that, your best bet could very well be a basic mid-sized sedan. There's nothing fancy about it, but based on what you've said, you don't have a need for anything extravagant.

We're not gonna trade off anytime soon, so we have awhile to decide. I've been looking at the Dodge Calibur. With my dads back problems, its easier for him to get up into a car(van, suv, etc.) than it is for him to get down into a car. Plus, with my size, a sedan is just not comfortable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Since you aren't using the van for sleeping, then get whatever you want.

There are hundreds of possibilities. An SUV can have just as much wind resistance as a van, and since you don't need a huge amount of room for camping gear or anything like that, your best bet could very well be a basic mid-sized sedan. There's nothing fancy about it, but based on what you've said, you don't have a need for anything extravagant.
    My dad is just concerned about me going from the Sunfire that I drive now, straight to a van. Also, the more I look into it, the better the SUV's look. When we got the van, I was little and I could stand up in the back, but now I cant do that, and the tv doesn't get any use, so we really don't need a van anymore.