1. Default Newbie advice for LA to NY trip.

Hi all,

I know this sort of topic has been raised many times but i thought it would be better to get some specific up to date info.

Me and 3 friends (guys around 25) are looking to head to the US in May for a month from Australia. Our basic plan is to start out in LA hire a car and head across to New York. At the moment the only places we have in mind are to spend a few days in LA, Las Vegas and NY, although we dont really mind if we spend just one or two days in LA. We have around US$8000 each to last us the month including the money to hire the car. We dont mind roughing it at times if we have to.
    With the time we have allocated is there enough to also head on a tangent or two along the way?

We are absolute newbies when it comes to the American road trip thing so any idea, places to see, tips, costs involved would be hugely appreciated.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Lots of options

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think you should have no problems creating a wonderful trip with your budget and your time.

A sprint from LA to NY takes about 5 days, so over a month you'll have plenty of time to look around, even if you spend a few days each in LA, LV, and NY.

A Total of over $20k will also let you have a great time, without having to "rough it," unless you want to. Car rental prices change frequently, but I would expect you'll be looking at $3000 or so for an average car for the month. Good Quality, but not extravagant, hotels should set you back around $100 a night in most cities. So unless you go way over the top, you should have plenty of money.

Poke around the RTA website, perhaps check out the international visitors section, and have fun with your planning. You've got lots of options.

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Route 66

You can see an interesting slice of the US taking Route 66 all the way to Chicago.