South FL for now, but in June 2007 - the Pacific NW!

Default Le Tub, Hollywood, FL

(I don't know if it still qualifies as off the beaten path these days, but it was for years!)

I went out for a drive this past Saturday. I am trying to go to all of the places around here in southern Florida that I've always wanted to visit but never quite made it to, since I may not have another chance. I am moving to Spokane, WA in April, and don't have any family down here.

Saturday's visit was to Le Tub.

Le Tub has always been known to the locals, but recently skyrocketed in popularity due to two factors. The first was when GQ magazine named it as having "The Best Burger in America." Second, when Oprah did her cross-country road trip last summer, her BFF Gail visited Le Tub, based on GQ's recommendation. The dive bar was shown on the Oprah Winfrey show, and you know whatever Oprah touches turns to gold.

I visited the Saturday before Superbowl Sunday. I went in expecting a larger than normal crowd due to that, plus it's high tourist season in SFL. What I wasn't expecting however, was the massive Bears event going on at the beach across the street. They were having powerboat races, some Dolphins were having a clinic, just total chaos on the roads everywhere. So yeah, we were told upon walking in that it would be at least an hour before we would be served. It was a beautiful day, the place is *right* on the water (Intercoastal side), so I didn't mind the wait at all.

The decor inside is very eclectic, including several toilets used as planters.

Seating is unusual too - you seat yourself. What that means on a busy day is that you walk around the restaurant eyeballing everyone until you find someone who looks like they could be leaving shortly, then you hover near their table until they get up. You then have to swoop down on it immediately, even before it's been cleaned, or you will lose it to someone else doing the same thing. I was lucky enough to see some people getting up and made a mad dash straight for them, luckily saving myself the embarrassment of hovering. Our table was right at the edge of the deck, so we got the beautiful breeze and a great view of the sailboat regatta going on. Boaters kept cruising by, showing off their rides and waving at us. There were some HUGE boats, whew! The bar right next door to Le Tub was hosting a Bears event, but Le Tub was strongly Colts. So boaters would go by the Bears bar and cheer and then get booed by everyone at our place. (I really couldn't have cared less, I am not a football fan.) At one point the jukebox in the bar played a song that sounded like Jimmy Buffett that had a line "The Bears Still Suck" and everyone in the bar sang along. That was pretty funny. All in all, a great time.

And while it was a very good, and very big plate-sized burger, I don't know if I personally can call it the "Best Burger in America."
    Last edited by SouthernOracle; 02-06-2007 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Changed some wording

Default Great tips!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernOracle View Post
    Seating is unusual too - you seat yourself. What that means on a busy day is that you walk around the restaurant eyeballing everyone until you find someone who looks like they could be leaving shortly, then you hover near their table until they get up.
    This sounds like it could be a little intense! I loved this field report. Thanks for sharing.

Best burger in America? I would vote for the Dispensary in Las Vegas -- a classic in many ways.

Where is your favorite burger joint?

Mark

Thank you! I wasn't sure if this was the kind of thing you were looking for in this forum.

I wish I had been able to take some pics of the inside, but it was so crowded you couldn't really see anything anyway.

Best burger, hmm that's a great question. I haven't been to beef country yet, like TX or OK, so I don't know if I am qualified enough! lol My favorite burger around here though has to be the one at Ellie's. Although it's really "Ellie's 50s Diner" everybody in town calls it "Ellie's Deli." In fact, I would have to say that Ellie's has the best chicken salad sandwiches, best philly cheese steaks, best root beer floats (made even better bc they use birch beer instead of root beer), best rhubarb pie, I can go on and on.. :D

Thanks for the tip about the Dispensary, I am adding that to my itinerary right now!

Default Other burger joints in Las Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernOracle View Post
    Best burger, hmm that's a great question. ... I would have to say that Ellie's has the best chicken salad sandwiches, best philly cheese steaks, best root beer floats (made even better bc they use birch beer instead of root beer), best rhubarb pie,
    Sounds like a place I have got to try sometime. How does Birch Beer differ in flavor from root beer?
    Thanks for the tip about the Dispensary, I am adding that to my itinerary right now!
    Two other places of note in LV -- the Four Mile Bar on Boulder Highway (a little dive --- hmmm, just occurred to me that the recent smoking ban might effect their kitchen) and the upscale burger bar at the Mandalay Place. I will have to do some research about both the Dispensary and the 4 Mile.... [The new law prohibits smoking in bars that serve food and so many of the taverns have stopped serving food]

I have eaten burgers all over the USA -- now I am getting hungry. I will have to revisit this after I take a lunch break....

Mark

Birch beer has a slightly sharper taste and is not as sweet. Barq's root beer is a decent approximation of birch beer. Also, bb is red, instead of brown.

I think bb is a northern thing. I grew up with it in PA, and now living in SFL it's still available bc of all the snowbirds and transplants. I also am a root beer fanatic/collector. I visit local breweries in places I visit, hoping they make root beer in addition to regular beer (which I hate, btw. lol) I collect locally-brewed root beer bottles.

There is a smoking ban in Vegas?! Hallelujah! That made my day. :)