1. Default Boston to Atlanta....is it worth the drive?

Hi-

My brother is getting married in July in Atlanta and my husband and I are debating whether we should drive and stop along the way or fly. I have researched airfare and it is expensive right now so I am leaning towards driving. However, I have never been to NC, SC or GA and have no idea what there is to do and see. Anyone have any suggestions for routes and/or activities? Thanks.

Sheller

Default 2 very different animals

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

It seems to me like you need to figure out what your goal here is. Are you just trying to get from Boston to Atlanta as fast as possible, or do you have the time and the desire to see the many things there are to do along the East Coast.

Given the choice and the time, I'd rather drive every time. But I don't always have that time, and sometimes flying is just more practical.

How much time do you forsee having for this trip if you decided to drive?

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America forum!

...is it worth the drive?
    ANY trip is worth the drive!

I have never been to NC, SC or GA and have no idea what there is to do and see. Anyone have any suggestions for routes and/or activities?
    How much time do you have? What are your interests? All of the states along your path have a lot of interesting possibilities to consider. You could keep towards the coastal route, or make a run for the hills and edge along the mountains. Time will ultimately be the deciding factor here.

4. Default Boston to Atlanta this summer....need ideas!

Hi-

My brother is getting married in Atlanta in late July and my husband and I thought we would drive down there from Boston and make a vacation of it. We have been as far as VA many times but nothing beyond via car. We are looking for ideas of things to do/see in NC, SC, TN, GA and any places along the way. We plan to stop and see Philly since we have never been. We have seen NY, DC, Richmond etc. We love the touristy and quirky stuff to see/do. We also enjoy being active and enjoy hiking, photography, the beach etc. We basically like to keep busy. We are not sit on the beach and drink people. Any suggestions and/or tips for this route would be helpful. Thanks.

Sheller

Default Surf and/or Turf

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There are three different routes between Boston and Atlanta that I can think of off hand, and they probably differ by only 10-20% in mileage. Yet they offer three totally different looks at the country between the two end points, so let me describe them briefly, and then you can pick and chose which ever ones appeal to the two of you.

1) Direct Route: I-95 to Petersburg, VA, and then I-85 to Atlanta (1100 miles). Highlights would include the historic cities of Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, Richmond, as well as Charlotte

2) Appalachian Route: I-84 to Scranton, I-81 to Knoxville, I-75 to Atlanta (1175 miles). Highlights would include Delaware Water Gap, Gettysburg, Shenandoah National Park, Blue Ridge Parkway, and the Smoky Mountains.

3) Coastal Route: I-95 to NYC, Garden State Parkway to Cape May, DE-1/US-13 to Virginia Beach, VA-168/US-158 to Manteo, US-64 to Rocky Mount, I-95 to Florence, I-20 to Atlanta (1270 miles). Highlights would include NJ and DE beaches, Cape May-Lewes Ferry, Assateague and Chincoteague Islands, Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, Kitty Hawk and the Lost Colony, Outer Banks, South of the Border, and the opportunity to get off the Interstates and explore some back roads through the Deep South.

There are, of course, more things to do along each route, but that should give you some ideas and the general flavor of each of your options. You could easily spend 3-4 days (or more) along each of them, so hopefully you have at least a week for this adventure.

AZBuck

6. Default Hi

Looking to do a similar trip from Boston to GA this spring/summer
    Just started planning and we will probably have about 10 days. Any advice? We dont have a particular destination, but we have been as far as Philly and seen most there is to see but are lookinh got things further south.
    Thanks!

Default Look Up

Welcome to the RTA Forum, wfg!

AZ Buck has three pretty good options posted in this very thread. Are any of those things along the lines of what you are looking for, or is there something else you want?

8. Default Coastal

Im thinking coastal route. Maybe with Savannah as the southermost point. Anyone done this and have any advice for a road trip newbie?