Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Showers

1. Default Showers

This might be a stupid question, but I'm a newbie so I hope you'll forgive. I'm wondering - I'm planning a week-long trip in the beginning of the summer, camping all along the way (no hotels). How do you take showers? I don't need to do laundry or anything like that - just a shower would be great. How does that happen when you don't stay in hotels or with family?

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Options, yes, there are options

Greetings, flowrider, and welcome to the forum!

There are options for those traveling who just need a good scrub and rinse! The first one would be truck stops. Many of them have pay-showers where you can scrub down for not a lot of cash. Second would be State parks with campgrounds, many of them have shower facilities.

Truckstops will be the best bet though!

-Brad

Default Keeping clean

I don't know of too many campgrounds that don't have some form of shower facility. They are out there, but I've managed to camp on road trips for many years without running into one.

Some have pay showers, some have free showers (usually offset by higher rates - but perfectly acceptable provided the facilities are clean).

It's a fairly safe bet that campgrounds with room for RVs and hookups will have shower facilities. Which, when you think about it, seems a little strange.

4. Default Nope, not stupid.

You may find showers at most private (or commercial) camps, but federal BLM or National Park camps rarely have them. Probably more state facilities have them -- at least where I've done my camping out here in the west.

My solution has been to carry a plastic wash basin, soap and a washcloth and freshen up that way right out there in front of God and everybody -- usually at the picnic table. Not during breakfast though... I even shampoo each day in the little wash pan. Yep, even usually with cold water. It's very exhilerating. Then you use your reflection in a window glass to comb your hair and shave. I often spring for a room about every two to three nights to get the hot shower when things start to get intense.

Without this option, I'd do the truckstop thing. Just remember to carry flip-flops for protection from nasty floors. Bob

Default Research

As someone who tent camps alot on roadtrips, I'll say that looking for campgrounds with showers tends to be one of the things I spend the most time researching.

I'll also say, despite doing almost all of my camping in public campgrounds, I've never had to go the truckstop route yet for a shower. The couple times I've wound up at places without showers for a few days, I've simply gotten advice from the campground host on where showers are available. They've pointed me in the direction of places like athletic clubs and laundromats, who've offered showers for a fee.

BTW, its usually not all that cheap to just buy a shower. Just from reading signs at truck stops, its usually at least $5. However, if its been a couple days, it can be a small price to pay!

But like I mentioned, a little pretrip research can make those stops pretty rare. BLM and National Forest campgrounds almost never have shower facilities, but national parks sometimes do, and state parks often have them. Usually you can find out the shower information simply by looking at the website for a given park. If there's nothing in a given area with a shower, then you might also start researching private campgrounds, which almost always have showers.

Default Truck Stop shower options

Quote Originally Posted by flowrider View Post
    How do you take showers?
    Here is an article I wrote for MSNBC that examines the various policies used by the truck stop facilities regarding using their showers (formally reserved for professional drivers). Basically, the larger truck service plazas want your business. At some of them if you were to purchase more than 50 gallons of diesel fuel you would be given a free shower voucher. At the rest, the going rate is $9 to $12 and that includes a towel, bath mat, and soap. We recommend that you use flip-flops and avoid walking on the tile barefoot -- but there is no restriction (in most places) about reserving the showers for professional drivers.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-16-2007 at 02:06 PM. Reason: added link to new article

7. Default thanks, everyone.

I'll try to plan on hitting campsites with showers - seems to be the best bet. I've done the backpacking thing before, so the level of fancy-ness to the shower isn't a concern. Just need some warm water spraying.

Thanks for the advice.

You could pick up a portable shower at a camping supply store. It’s basically simple. Made of a clear, heavy plastic it is just bag that holds about 2 gallons of water. The sun will heats the water just hang the bag on a tree limb open the valve and the shower turns on. I never used one but they do look as though they will work very well.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Here is an article I wrote for MSNBC that examines the various policies used by the truck stop facilities regarding using their showers (formally reserved for professional drivers). Basically, the larger truck service plazas want your business. At some of them if you were to purchase more than 50 gallons of diesel fuel you would be given a free shower voucher. At the rest, the going rate is $9 to $12 and that includes a towel, bath mat, and soap. We recommend that you use flip-flops and avoid walking on the tile barefoot -- but there is no restriction (in most places) about reserving the showers for professional drivers.

Mark
    that couldn't have been more helpful.. thanks

I've been trying to find out if the big travel centers would be a good option for a shower stop for the wife and I. I had the same misconceptions.. thinking the showers were for truckers only.

Default Thanks for the thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MA Driver View Post
    I've been trying to find out if the big travel centers would be a good option for a shower stop for the wife and I. I had the same misconceptions.. thinking the showers were for truckers only.
    Nope, travel centers are happy for your business -- just have to remember that it is not truly luxurious in many cases.... Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.

Mark