Default Suggestions for the first road trip

Hello everyone,

I have been lurker on this website for a year now :-) and finally decided to post a thread.
    First I want to say that this is such an incredible website and I have enjoyed reading it so much. Just keep up the good work!
    My boyfriend and I would like to go on our first road trip sometime late August..I know its not the best time but thats the only time I can arrange both time off from work and school. We would have 17-18 days for this trip. We live in New York City ( originally are from Serbia, but are studying and living in NYC for 4 years now ).
    Since its our first time - we of course would like to see everything :-) but since thats not possible, I need your help to figure out a nice route that is doable in 17 days, with enough time to enjoy the places we go to, but also go through as many states as possible. My original thought was to go to see Grand Canyon, but maybe thats too far away for such a short time? Acctually my real passion is to see all of the best national parks in the west...but I wouldnt push it if its not doable.
    I am willing to go to any direction you guys suggest as a good trip giving the time frame and the time of the year, don`t really have any preferences...since this would be the first road trip - everything is worth seeing. The only places we are not interested since we have been there for a few times already are Washington DC, Boston and Philadelphia ( we often go there for the weekends )...
    Also, we are considering sleeping in a cheap motels and campgrounds...
    Also, would driving with the international drivers licence be OK for the road trip? I also have the AAA membership card.
    I am really really looking forward to planning this trip, so I would really appreciate if you could help with some great suggestions and routes.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Default Posters are Divine!

Quote Originally Posted by mima4nyc View Post
    I have been lurker on this website for a year now :-) and finally decided to post a thread.
    As we always say -- Lurkers are welcome and Posters are divine!Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    First I want to say that this is such an incredible website and I have enjoyed reading it so much. Just keep up the good work!
    Nice to hear thanks! I am curious -- are you referring to the entire RTA website or, in particular, this Forum?
    My boyfriend and I would like to go on our first road trip sometime late August..I know its not the best time but thats the only time I can arrange both time off from work and school
    Anytime is a good time for a road trip!
    We would have 17-18 days for this trip. We live in New York City ( originally are from Serbia, but are studying and living in NYC for 4 years now ).
    A very reasonable span of time.
    Since its our first time - we of course would like to see everything :-) but since thats not possible, I need your help to figure out a nice route that is doable in 17 days, with enough time to enjoy the places we go to, but also go through as many states as possible. My original thought was to go to see Grand Canyon, but maybe thats too far away for such a short time?
    I would make a giant circle. Go to Niagra Falls, over to Chicago, on to South Dakota and Badlands NP, brief stops in Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks, the Utah national parks (maybe even the Grand Canyon) and then head for home on I-70 stopping at the Gateway Arch in St. Louis and then zipping home. This would be a very fast look at some western parks. Generally, you would be driving 5-8 hours every day -- but it would be possible to make this circuit in the 17 days.

Happy Planning!

Mark