1. Default Road Trip Las Vegas to Toronto

Hi All.
    Just found the site through friends in the UK who have recommended it and its' first class, keep up the good work.

I'm from Wales in the U.K. (Pleeeese remember, I'm not English lol), my other half and I are getting married in Las Vegas in May, and then intend to drive from there to Toronto Canada.

All the flights and car rentals have been booked, and also the Hotel in Vegas, as our last port of call in the U.S. is Buffalo, I was wondering if any of you kind people could give me some tips about the journey/speed limits/fuel cost/places to stay ect, we have one week in Vegas then two weeks to travel to Buffalo, then a further one week in Toronto staying with relatives.

Is there any must see sights that we should take in on the way, and finally a stupid question I know, but does any part of this journey travel along Route 66

Thanks in advance

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dragon View Post
    I'm from Wales in the U.K. (Pleeeese remember, I'm not English lol), my other half and I are getting married in Las Vegas in May, and then intend to drive from there to Toronto Canada.
    Congratulations!
    I was wondering if any of you kind people could give me some tips about the journey/speed limits/fuel cost/places to stay ect, we have one week in Vegas then two weeks to travel to Buffalo, then a further one week in Toronto staying with relatives.
    For speed limits, generally they are 65mph on the Interstate, though some places in the West are higher (70, 75). As you travel East, you will find the traffic to be heavier and (especially off the Interstates) the speed limits to be lower.
    Is there any must see sights that we should take in on the way, and finally a stupid question I know, but does any part of this journey travel along Route 66
    As "must see", for starters I would recommend Grand Canyon in Arizona, Zion and Bryce in Utah. Two weeks is a fair amount of time to make the trip from Las Vegas to Buffalo and still have time to enjoy taking in the sights. You could head out of Utah on I-70

Route 66 has for the most part been replaced by I-40, I-44, and I-55. You could take US-93 into Kingman, AZ and get on Historic 66 from there and travel to Seligman to get a taste of the road.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-01-2007 at 09:56 AM. Reason: removed extra white spaces

3. Default

Thanks very much for the reply/tips, I, or should I say we are so very much looking forward to this trip (as well as the wedding).

Only been to the U.S. once, and that was New York, but as well as our May/June trip, we are planning to go to Boston at Christmas.

Once again thanks and take care..

Default The whirwind tour

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dragon View Post
    ...we have one week in Vegas
    Be sure to look at the Conservatory Garden at the Bellagio, watch the entire show at the parasol garden at the Wynn, the interior Venice canals at the Venetion and fish tank behind the check-in desk at the Mirage for other Las Vegas favorites, click here. You might also enjoy Oatman on your way to Buffalo.

Mark

5. Default

Great thanks very much.

Default Draig Goch

OK, keeping in mind that my own heritage is Norman English and Black Irish, and that even so, I still can't remember the difference between Picts and Scots.....

I'd look at making the trip to the Grand Canyon as a two day excursion during your week in las Vegas. It's close enough to drive to in half a day, but you can't make a day trip to it, see it, and return to las Vegas in a day. You could also include the stretch of old US-66 that Tim mentioned and/or the visit to Oatman that Mark suggested as part of this excursion. Even if you 'waste' $60-80 for a motel room in Tusayan, AZ (south of the park) when you already have a room in Las Vegas, I think doing these two or three items as part of your week in Vegas helps you on your cross-country portion.

Your cross-country trip would then start by heading north out of las Vegas on I-15 to Zion and Bryce, truning east on I-70 with a stop at Arches National Park for sure and perhaps even take the time to see Canyonlands National Park as well. A great detour off I-70 would occur just west of Denver where you can take US-40 west to US-34 east through Rocky Mountain National Park and then out onto the plains on I-76 and I-80. At this point you will be following the old Oregon Trail which is the route many of our early pioneers took to settle the western US.

For the final part of your journey, you've got a choice to make. You can, of course, just continue following I-80 through Chicago and the industrialized midwest, but I think you might also want to consider an alternative route through St. Louis and then some lesser travelled roads up the Ohio River valley into West Virgina and finally up the back side of Appalachian Mountains on, say, US-219 to Buffalo. You have time for a few 'off-Motorway' excursions like that, so take the time and enjoy a more relaxed pace occasionally. Oh, and since you're going to be visiting so many national parks, be sure to get a National Parks Pass at the first one you come to.

Finally a word on speeds and distances. Even though it is true that speed limits on our Interstates are generally 65-75, you still can't count on doing much better than 55 mph as an average speed over a day's driving when you factor in gas stops, lunch breaks, wc visits, etc. Also, in general, covering 500 miles a day would leave some, but very little, time for sight seeing. But since it's "only" about 2400 miles from Las Vegas to Toronto, you only have to cover about 150 miles a day, so you'll have plenty of time for both the major sights that have been pointed out to you so far, and some smaller venues that may appeal to you along the way. One final point of reference: Wales is roughly the same size as the state of New Jersey. Keep that in mind as you look at your map of the US.

AZBuck

7. Default

Thanks very much for the info, there is plenty of food for thought there, and some really interesting places to visit, we will try and do it some justice, I've got hold of some good guide books as well, but there is no substitute for local information.

So as we say in Wales 'Diolch yn fawr am yr atebion. a pob hwyl i chi gyd.' translated Thanks for the replies and good luck to you all.