Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 3 months, 30 states, 2 provinces and 12 500 miles later...

G'day everyone.

My girlfriend and I just recently completed a three month road trip of the USA and Canada. Just to give you a little background info on us and the trip we embarked on, we are both 23yo Australians and have always dreamed of doing something like this. We started in Los Angeles, CA and rented a car from autoteamusa.com. We finally ended up finishing our trip about 80 days later in Manhattan!

I don't really have the time to go into every single detail possible here right now. But if anyone would like to ask me any questions about our trip, I'd be glad to try and answer them. I know I found it quite hard to find information specific to foreigners before we left.

The 30 states we went to were California, Nevada, Idaho, Florida, Louisiana, South Carolina, North Carolina, Maryland, Virginia, Tennessee, Wyoming, New York, Georgia, Texas, Kansas, Rhode Island, Vermont, Massachusets, Colorado , South Dakota, Utah, Arizona, Montana, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Maine, New Jersey and also Ontario and Quebec!

Cheers!
    Last edited by ozzyAU; 02-01-2007 at 04:45 AM.

Default Excellent

Glad to hear you were able to make the trip - I hope that in the near future you will be able to flesh out your roadtrip report a bit. I'm sure we'd all like to hear about what you found out there - fun places to stop, good places to eat, interesting people and even lesson(s) learned.

Now that is a roadtrip, nice! So how did it feel to drive on the wrong side of the road? How many times did you get in on the passenger side when it was your turn to drive? Personally I've done roadtrips in NZ and Ireland. Did really well in both countries, in fact the rental return in Ireland was surprised to see I had both mirrors on the car when they heard were we'd been. Must admit to getting in on the wrong side of the car a few times though. Glad all went well for the 2 of you.

4. Default

Cheers.

Getting used to the driving was a bit of a learning experience. We had to pick up the car in Los Angeles, so I guess I was thrown into the deep end from the start. Driving the car back to our hostel and having to take the Interstate was a little daunting.

Although, to be honest, it was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be. Being on the other side of the car and the other side of the road made it all relative. What I had to get used to was looking over my other shoulder in blind spots, and glancing to the opposite side when checking my rear view. All part of the fun though!

I did go to the passenger side a few times, but I never ended up on the wrong side of the street luckily! Although in car parks I was often on the wrong side for some reason.

Some of my favourite places we visited were the obvious such as Los Angeles, New York City, Miami etc. But we had an absolute blast in the smaller towns such as Boise ID, Burlington VT, Charleston SC and Natchitoches LA.

Driving through the smaller towns really made the experience, talking to people who had never heard an Australian accent was interesting. Absolutely loved every minute of it (except the parts where we got lost) and would jump at the chance to do it again.

Default Being a passenger....

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyAU View Post
    Getting used to the driving was a bit of a learning experience.
    I will share another learning experience.... Being the passenger in one's own car when an Aussie mate is doing the driving. Now, that can be a life-endangering experience. I have stared down an oncoming tractor trailer more than once when Rob turned right onto the "wrong" side of the road. I know about that daunting experience -- I drove from the Sydney airport one time -- Unnerving to say the least.

Thanks for the field report!

Mark

6. Default

We started in Los Angeles, CA and rented a car from autoteamusa.com. We finally ended up finishing our trip about 80 days later in Manhattan!

I am interested in how you got on renting a car as an Australian, how much it cost and any issues taking it "over the border" to Canada. We will be heading to north America in September and want to do a round trip across Canada and then back across northern US.

The last time we crossed the US (late 90's) it was in a car we bought in New Jersey and sold in LA - a classic Oldsmobile that seemed wider than most of the roads we travelled. As it was late November/December we stuck to the southern states and now feel the need to explore north. Any tips on surviving on an Australian passport would be much appreciated!
    Cheers
    Ali

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Hope You Got on the Two Laners

The old two lane highways are a blast and hope you got to enjoy some of them. Did you get on Route 66 or the Lincoln Highway at any point?

I liked your comment about driving. I would be too scared to drive in Australia, NZ, or the British Isles for that very same reason. Although, my boat's steering wheel is on the right side and that doesn't cause any problems.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

Default What was your experience with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Ali View Post
    We started in Los Angeles, CA and rented a car from autoteamusa.com. We finally ended up finishing our trip about 80 days later in Manhattan!
    Was the rental delivered as expected? Did you have any concerns with service? Would you use them again?
    The last time we crossed the US (late 90's) it was in a car we bought in New Jersey and sold in LA - a classic Oldsmobile that seemed wider than most of the roads we travelled.
    I can relate to that! The first time I drove a wide-body Class A RV (for a client) I was plenty freaked. From my driver's seat, it looked like the front end was certainly wider than the lane. Eventually, I got used to the optical illusion and really enjoyed driving it and squishing it into tight parking places at special events.
    Any tips on surviving on an Australian passport would be much appreciated!
    What does this mean?

Mark

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ali View Post

I am interested in how you got on renting a car as an Australian, how much it cost and any issues taking it "over the border" to Canada. We will be heading to north America in September and want to do a round trip across Canada and then back across northern US.

The last time we crossed the US (late 90's) it was in a car we bought in New Jersey and sold in LA - a classic Oldsmobile that seemed wider than most of the roads we travelled. As it was late November/December we stuck to the southern states and now feel the need to explore north. Any tips on surviving on an Australian passport would be much appreciated!
    Cheers
    Ali

Hey there.

Renting a car from autoteam as an Aussie was simple. I just rang them up and told them what I wanted, and where from, and then put a deposit with my credit card. There were no issues in taking it over the border. They gave the car a searching over, checked our passports and we were on our way.

I had no problems traveling all over with our Aussie passport. The only reason I didn't buy a car was because I couldn't find anyone to insure me on the US roads without a US address. Although homeland security will only let you stay 90 days without a visa. You will also need to show them your onward flights (out of the US). The 80 odd days I rented the car for cost me approx $6000US if I remember correctly. Although that could be australian, I don't have the receipts at hand right now. Although if you email autoteam they will quote you.

Hope to help, cheers.

Default Thanks for the news about AutoTeam

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyAU View Post
    Renting a car from autoteam as an Aussie was simple. I just rang them up and told them what I wanted, and where from, and then put a deposit with my credit card. There were no issues in taking it over the border. They gave the car a searching over, checked our passports and we were on our way.
    Thanks for the report and the good news about AutoTeam.

Mark