Default Trip from DC to San Antonio

Hey all,

I'll be taking a road trip in September with my best friend for a couple of weeks from DC to San Antonio. She's never seen the south, so it's going to be very interesting for her. :) I'll spend about three or four days in San Antonio (family is there), but the rest of the time will be spent traveling to and from Texas. I'll be traveling through North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, maybe Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, and Tennessee. I've lived in Texas, Kansas, and Oklahoma (army brat), so I don't need help with those states. I'll be traveling along the coast of NC, SC, and GA, but haven't decided if I want to go through the middle of GA, AL, MS, and LA or if I want to go along the Gulf Coast. Any suggestions?

Although I've been through all those states listed, I'd still like some advice about places to see. I'm really excited about seeing Savannah. I've never been there, but always wanted to go. I plan on spending a half, if not, a whole day there. Any particular fav spots you'd recommend? Two of the other places I also plan to stop at are Charleston and Nashville. I could use some advice on good places to see in those cities as well. I have a few books and am getting brochures from every state, but figured I'd ask advice from here too. :)

Thank you in advance for all your help!

Jen
    Last edited by jenphen81; 01-31-2007 at 05:46 AM.

Default Short on recent experience

Quote Originally Posted by jenphen81 View Post
    I'll be taking a road trip in September with my best friend for a couple of weeks from DC to San Antonio. She's never seen the south, so it's going to be very interesting for her.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Traveling in the south is really fun. We have some very active members from Louisiana & Georgia and I hope they stop by soon. My own experience is now a little long in the tooth -- it has been several years since I was there. But I wanted to welcome you aboard.

Mark

Default I can't believe I missed this post

Ok - I can be a lot of help for LA and Texas. It depends on which route you are taking ,though. Are you opting for I-10 through New Orleans and Houston, or I-20 through Shreveport and Dallas. Just let us know and I know some cool things along either route.

Laura

We'll be taking I-20 through dallas, then 35 south to San Antone. My friend's aunt lives around Dallas, so we'll be stopping by. :)