Default HELP Im Buying in LA - travelling around Central & South America - then Selling in LA

HELP I am looking to Buy a car in LA - travelling around Central & South America - then Selling in LA!

We have planned a trip to travel starting in LA then buying and driving a car through to Mexico, Guatemala, etc. til Peru and back up again to LA, where we are hoping to sell the vehicle again. However we understand that although we can purchase a vehicle we cannot register it, as we are not residents of the US.

There are two of us, 25 & 24 years old, we both Hold Full UK driving licenses, we will be flying in and out of LAX from London, and its for 3 and half months.

I read within one of the other threads something about obtaining a Post Box as an address to register the vehicle to - is this still possible and if so how?

Also does anyone know the kind of problems we may face in regards to crossing the border from the US to Mexico and back again (we also heard there is some corruption within the Mexican Police force - which may cause us a problem, can anyone verify this or is this just made up? Also Does anyone have any first hand experience of driving their US registered vehicle in Mexico?)

Another thing we heard is that US insurance policies are usually invalid in Mexico, is this also true?

Thank you

J

Default Is this your first time in Central America?

Quote Originally Posted by SurfThePacific View Post
    HELP I am looking to Buy a car in LA - travelling around Central & South America - then Selling in LA!
    I wouldn't attempt such a journey without an expedition-quality vehicle. How much are you planning on spending for the car? Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    We have planned a trip to travel starting in LA then buying and driving a car through to Mexico, Guatemala, etc. til Peru
    I don't mean to sound harsh -- but are you aware that you can not easily drive from Panama to Columbia (you still have to find a way past the Darian Gap) -- are you planning on booking passage on one of the freighters/ferries?
    and back up again to LA, where we are hoping to sell the vehicle again. However we understand that although we can purchase a vehicle we cannot register it, as we are not residents of the US.
    That is basically correct --
    Also does anyone know the kind of problems we may face in regards to crossing the border from the US to Mexico and back again (we also heard there is some corruption within the Mexican Police force - which may cause us a problem, can anyone verify this or is this just made up?
    It is not made up -- what I would recommend is that you speak with the RTA members who posted this thread as they have made such trips before and are going again soon.

Here is another thread about using vehicles on such a journey. And even more resources in this thread about motorcycling down to South America.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-30-2007 at 01:13 PM.