1. Default May weather query!

Hi All

Long time browser but first time poster so please be gentle!

Iím looking to do a road trip in the second half of May, from about 13th to 27th.

My aim is to fly in Seattle and visit Yellowstone/Grand Teton, Craters of the moon, Twin falls, Crater Lake National Park, then down through to Yosemite and fly out from San Francisco (plus other little "sights" en route), in a kind of "?" route shape! (Well thatís how it looks on Streets and Trips!)

The exact timing at the moment is sketchy and is still potentially subject to change.

My main question is really regarding the weather. Is May a reasonably (or more to the point sensible) time to be doing this route? Iím not overly bothered about it being cold but is there likely to be much snow around Yellowstone and other parks during this period? I know this is a bit of a "how longís a piece of string?" type question, but Iíve read in some places about how much snow there has been in the past during this time of year. Just curious really.

Tucson, AZ

Default On the Edge - Could be Great

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Here is the schedule for the reopening of roads in Yellowstone for this Spring. This is, of course, subject to change, but it looks like the second half of May would be an excellent time to visit the Park. The best times I've ever had there were when I visited in late Fall, just before snows started closing the roads. The Park has an entirely different feel if you go on these 'shoulder seasons' and there are no crowds. Especially if the roads are cleared, but there's still snow on the ground and a nip in the air, I imagine the thermal springs will be spectacular. The wildlife might not have really started to move around much yet, but still, the bison are out and about all year.

One problem you will encounter is in the trip from Yellowstone to Yosemite. Tioga Pass typically does not open until late May, so you may have to come around from Lake Tahoe to Placerville before taking CA-49 south to enter Yosemite from the west. But again, absolutely worth it.

As for other highpoints you might consider, read this trip report on a journey through southern Idaho with snow on the ground. If possible (it is a dirt track road, and probably not plowed), try to get into Bruneau Canyon. Spectacular, and chances are you'll be the only one there!.

3. Default

Thanks for that. After reading up before posting and seeing the fact that there is even a poll on when the Tioga pass will be open, I had written that off as a no starter from the offset!

I had thought of probably heading westwards through southern Idaho and the report has given me some more ideas. Thanks again.