1. Default Los Angeles to Detroit in January

Hello, I would like some advice on traveling from LA to Detroit. We will be driving a Uhaul truck and we are concerned about weather and the possibility of mountian roads, etc. The route planned is I-10, I-15, I-70, I-76 to I-80. What can you tell us about the road conditions?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Tucson, AZ

Default Take the Short Route, But Leave Yourself a Day to Spare

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The roads you list are the shortest route from Los Angeles to Detroit. All Interstate highways are built with certain limits on curves and grades, even as they pass through mountains. That said, you should be aware that I-70 and I-76 east of Denver have been closed twice already this winter due to snow. While I have no idea what the weather will be like when you're travelling, you can keep an eye on it by checking in with the Weather Channel for a few days before you leave and daily as you travel. Most motels carry it. If need be, you can sit out a day to let a storm pass. I doubt that you'll have to hunker down for longer than that. And, I-70 through Utah and western Colorado is one of the most beautiful stretches of road in the country.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Weather Watching

The shortest route is almost always the best, and giving yourself at least a day of extra time for the unexpected is always good advice, espeically in the winter.

The route you have listed I-70 through Denver would also be my choice if conditions are clear. However, the two other major options, taking I-80 all the way from from Utah and taking I-40, I-44, and I-70 through Oklahoma City, St. Louis, and Indy before cutting north to Detroit, are both of similar distance. So, if weather is looking bad across Colorado, you might want to consider one of those other options. Also, don't think the Mountains are the only place you could see trouble. a Wind Driven Snowstorm across the plains is no fun either, and you certainly could see that along any of the major routes.

The good news is that if you are leaving in the next few days, the forecast does look pretty clear. The long term outlook shows Below normal precip expected across most of your route, although it predicts far below normal temperatures from Nebraska all the way to Detroit -So make sure to bundle up!