Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SF > LA (Hwy 1) in 3 Days/2 Nights April 07

Hi everyone

Im driving Highway 1, San Francisco to LA, in 3 days, with 2 night time stop overs in the last half of april.

Looking for any good advice of things that are worth checking out along this route, things that are worth giving a miss, places to stop for a night and good food stops that i shouldnt miss.

thanks
    Nick

Default San Francisco> LA > ??? > Grand Canyon > Vegas

Hi again

Im flying home out of Vegas and starting driving out of LA so the start and end of my trip are totally set in stone.

I was planning to drive LA > Vegas > Grand Canyon > Vegas but i figured i could probably see something else instead of driving down the same roads twice. So any ideas for that ??? would be sweet.

Im looking to keep my drives down to about 4-5 hours each day.

looking at this site, it shows the route to the canyon from vegas to end pretty much in the centre of the canyon.

is this the best place to see the canyon or would it be easier for me to see it somewhere closer to vegas and cut down my drive times?

any advice on seeing the grand canyon and anything i should check out on the routes between would be awesome.

thanks
    Nick
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-24-2007 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Preferred URL format

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

I am not intimately familiar with the area, but there is a fair amount of information on the forum related to this section of highway - if you look at the bottom of this page, you will see "Similar Threads" that will help steer you in the right direction.
    Last edited by Mass Tim; 01-24-2007 at 08:35 AM. Reason: misnomer

Thanks and yeah ive searched throught this forum a few times, it helped me sort out my final itineray (such a great forum)

i was just hoping for some sweet little gold nuggets that you only get from speaking to real people, that lonely planets or rough guides can never provide.

For example, a friend of mine did this route about 10 years ago and he told me about this place called "The Mystery Spot" where the rules of gravity apparently dont apply. He said there was a little tour and it was one of the oddest funniest things hes ever seen, but he couldnt remember where it was. Any one else heard of that?

5. Default Possible route?

Hello nickgripton,

You have 3 nights and 4 days to make this trip?

For a somewhat more circuitous route, you might consider

Day 1 -- LA to Phoenix, with potential stop/ drive throughs of Joshua Tree National Park, Palm Springs, Patton Musuem (Chiraco Summit), the Mojave dessert, etc. Driving through is about 6 hours, and if you sidetrip through Joshua Tree you might want to stop in Blythe or thereabouts instead of continuing.

Day 2 -- Phoenix to Flagstaff with potential stops in Scottsdale, Montezuma's Castle, Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon, the Red Rock country, or Jerome.

Day 3 -- at Grand Canyon. You could go north via Sunset Crater National Monument, Wupatki ruins, and west into the park along the south rim, and stay either in Grand Canyon Village or just outside the park. This day will be long enough for you to do some hiking and exploring around the Grand Canyon if you want to.

Day 4 -- Grand Canyon to Las Vegas. You'll have all day to get to LV, which is about a 5-6 hour drive, so you can potentialy go the old Route 66 route through Peach Springs, or stop at Boulder Dam and explore, or some of the other spots along the way.

The route is a bit longer than the usual, but has the advantage that you won't repeat any roads. You'll also see quite a range of topography from the Mojave Dessert around Palm Springs to the Sonoran Dessert around Phoenix, and then up into the higher elevations near Jerome, as well as the Grand Canyon. The 2 longest drives would be the LA to Phoenix leg, and the GC to LV leg -- both of which are very doable in a day (depending upon sightseeing stops, of course)

Default This is not a public road!

Quote Originally Posted by nickgripton View Post
    it shows the route to the canyon from vegas to end pretty much in the centre of the canyon
    I just wanted to make sure that you know that this is not a public road. This is the access road to the Havasupai Tribal HQ and is the route to see the Havasu Falls, but it is not the traditional approach to Grand Canyon National Park. If you want to see the NPS version of the Grand Canyon, you will have to use AZ-64.

Mark

Default Mystery Spot

For example, a friend of mine did this route about 10 years ago and he told me about this place called "The Mystery Spot" where the rules of gravity apparently dont apply.
    It is near Santa Cruz, California

Here is a thread with links to suggestions along the coast.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-01-2007 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Added navigation link

ah right, i can see now that the grand canyon village is further east than the location on that route. Thanks, you probably saved me a wasted drive!

9. Default

I did this trip two years ago. The only places I recall visiting that haven't already been mentioned are Yosimite/Sequoia National Parks and Napa Valley.

Default A few of my spots....

Looking for any good advice of things that are worth checking out along this route, things that are worth giving a miss, places to stop for a night and good food stops that i shouldn't miss.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Places of note that I would recommend on a route from San Francisco to Las Vegas via the Grand Canyon... There are about 1200 threads on this Forum that address this route -- here are a couple of suggestions.

Instead of following CA-1 from San Francisco -- I like the trans-coastal mountain road known as Half Moon Bay Road (Ca-92) because it really shows that transition from the bay to the rugged California coast.

Depending upon the whims of the "Big Wave Gods" your trip could include a stop at Mavericks and watch some of the "The 2007 Mavericks Big Wave Event" If you go -- send us photos!!!! To reach Mavericks you need to go north on CA-1 to Pillar Point and the follow the trail to the surf. The actual breaks are 1/2 mile off-shore and if you hit a day when the waves are running -- prepare for excitement. Here is a good description of the geology and why 50 foot waves occur here!

Next stop would be Ano Nuevo and here are a couple of threads to get you started. #1 and #2

Natural Bridges State Park is one of my favorite places to take photographs of starfish and the Lighthouse Point is another awesome place to watch surfers -- what is unique about this spot is that one can observe professional-level surfers operating among the rocks only a stone's throw from benches and a park.

One of the best places for fresh seafood (not expensive) (Phil's) can be found at Moss Landing. Here is a thread about that. (Read the entire thread -- my comments about Phil's are near the bottom)

Just about every turn-out on the Big Sur is fun. A must-stop would be the turn-out just north of the Burns Creek Bridge. Take the 1/4 mile walk to the overlook for the waterfall shot. This is the only place on the west coast where a waterfall falls directly into the surf.

For a truly disgusting stop -- check out bubble gum alley in San Luis Obispo.

Well, this is, hopefully, a good start.

Mark