1. Default Possible Road trip from Seattle to San Diego

Hi,

I'm needing some help. My boyfriend and I are considering a trip from Seattle to Southern CA. (I have a wedding to go to in Temecula June 1st) Anyways we are going to take 2 weeks and are wondering if this will be enough time to see all we want to see?? Or should we just see CA?? I'd really like to see Napa Valley, San Francisco, The Redwoods, Tahoe, Yosemite and then Hearst Castle, L.A..ha I know I'm thinking Seattle might be out. But I really wanted to stay a couple nights in Seattle and go from there to the Redwoods. Is this possible in 2 weeks when the last 2 nights I need to be around Temecula (San Diego) for the wedding?? Also any help with routes would be great.

Default I think I am confused about the starting point?

Quote Originally Posted by amyrak View Post
    I'm needing some help. My boyfriend and I are considering a trip from Seattle to Southern CA.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    Anyways we are going to take 2 weeks and are wondering if this will be enough time to see all we want to see?? Or should we just see CA??
    How are you getting to Seattle? Where are you starting from?
    I'd really like to see Napa Valley, San Francisco, The Redwoods, Tahoe, Yosemite and then Hearst Castle, L.A..ha I know I'm thinking Seattle might be out.
    To really see these places, maybe you should consider flying into San Francisco and make a grand circle.

Happy Planning!

Mark

3. Default Flying

Well our plan is to fly. Were thinking of flying into Seattle and make our way down (We live in Michigan) and renting a car of course. Or fly into San Francisco and out of San Diego or Orange County airport where the wedding is. So flying in Sat and flying out 2 weeks later June 2nd.
    Just trying to see what is the best route. We aren't really museum types of people. Aquariums maybe..more scenery. I think Tahoe may be out now..we may make a different trip in the future and do Grand Canyon. So, I'm still just trying to decide if 2 weeks is enough for Seattle. My original plan was staying 2 nights in Seattle and make our way all the way to Crescent City (unless there would be a scenic stop on the way somewhere in Oregon??) Then from there to San Fran, napa valley, and ride along the coast. Yosemite may be out too.
    I'm hoping there isn't a big charge with rental cars returning to a different airport location?? I have heard National doesn't charge anymore.
    I'd like a nice beach stop on the way..maybe Santa Barbara?? I just don't want to be rushed and in the car all the time so that is why I'm trying to make sure this is feasible to start in Seattle.

Hi Amyrak!

From my point of view the best is to fly to Seattle, rent a car, and go down to San Diego and leave the car there. It is very doable, the route is about 1500 miles with small detours, and it can be done in three days, if necessary. With 10 days or so the daily trips will be around 150 miles as an average.

About oneway fees, I think you will talk to the rental companys. Compare and negotiate.

Bernt Bergkvist
    Stockholm, Sweden

Default The definition of feasable

Its certainly feasable to fly into Seattle and then drive down to Southern California and two weeks. However, I'm not sure that's really the option you would find most enjoyable.

It really seems like other than Seattle, everything you want to do is in California. So you have to make some decisions about what are your highest priorities.

If you really want to spend a few days in Seattle, and you need to be in Temecula for a couple of days at the end of your trip, then you are going to have to limit things. Even if you skip the beautiful Oregon Coast, and shoot down I-5 to Northern California, and then pick up the coast there, your time will start to become limited. Yosemite and Tahoe would be very difficult to fit into this schedule. Even skipping those sites, you still might feel a bit rushed, depending on how much time you want to spend at your listed destinations.

Personally, I think you would be better off saving Seattle for another trip. If you started in Southern California (San Diego, Orange County, LAX), 2 weeks would give you more time to do a big loop of the sites you want to see in California, including Tahoe and Yosemite, without being too rushed.

A loop would also be quite a bit cheaper, since you would get to take advantage of lower prices for both airfare and car rentals. I do not know of any company that doesn't charge a drop off fee for one way rentals, and while the charges vary greatly from company to company, I would expect that you will be looking at a couple hundred dollars in extra fees for renting in Seattle and Dropping the car in So Cal.