1. Default California in April

I'm currently in CA for 3 months business, at the end of which, I'm planning to fly my girlfriend in and take a road trip.

Start point will be LAX, she'll be landing after an 11 hour flight, so we'll probably write the first day off. We'll be flying out of LAX too, so it's a round trip. I'm working on a week to ten days.

Figured a clockwise trip, LA > SF > LV > LA would have the most variation in theme.

From LA out to the PCH, then northwards all the way up to SF. I'm thinking 2 days. To include a wine stop somewhere.

a couple of days in SF, early start out to Yosemite, take a morning tour then on to Sequoia in the afternoon. stop overnight, early start through Death Valley to Las Vegas. Stop 2 nights including Grand Canyon, then back to LAX via Mojave.

Am I being overly optimistic? If so, where would I be best to add in days?

We're into scenery, beaches, photography, architecture, and are generally open to any suggestions.

Any advice would be much appreciated, meanwhile I'll trawl the other threads.

--
    Dnc

Default Just a little....

Quote Originally Posted by doesnotcompute View Post
    Figured a clockwise trip, LA > SF > LV > LA would have the most variation in theme.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    From LA out to the PCH, then northwards all the way up to SF. I'm thinking 2 days. To include a wine stop somewhere.
    This is a reasonable pace. It can be done in one day, but it would be a very long and taxing day. cayucos or Monterey would be my choice for the over-night spot.
    a couple of days in SF, early start out to Yosemite, take a morning tour then on to Sequoia in the afternoon. stop overnight, early start through Death Valley to Las Vegas. Stop 2 nights including Grand Canyon, then back to LAX via Mojave.
    This is where your plan gets a little difficult. It would be pretty nigh impossible to see much of Yosemite and still reach Sequoia that afternoon. The passes between Sequoia and Owens Valley will still be closed in April and so while you can certainly reach Las Vegas the next day, your time in Death Valley will be short. Grand Canyon is not normally a day trip from Las Vegas and so if you want to see the Grand you will need to spend a night there. It is five hours hours one way from Las Vegas to the Grand.

The route from LA to SF to LV and back is discussed frequently on this Forum -- if you use the search utility, you will find 1200+ threads that address the options. But for starters, look at this thread!

Happy Planning!

Mark