Default A Trip To Brooklyn CT

As soon as the weather begins to warm up, I am planning a trip along scenic CT RT 169. It is one of the National Scenic Byways. I was hoping that someone could recommend a romantic or at least, uniquely different and fun restaurant along this route, ie Norwich CT to about the Mass border closely folowing the RI border. Any suggestions for a really great restaurant or any other really special attraction, please let me know. I know about the Lambs Buttery Restaurant in Brooklyn, and if I liked real fancy and saucey food it would be the perfect place, but our tastes are more basic. Thanks in advance.

Tucson, AZ

Default Yin vs. Yang

Hmmm... "romantic", "uniquely different", "more basic". Those don't necessarily go together. But, I think there is an answer, and that is to try one of the many upscale restaurants along that route for lunch or brunch rather than dinner. Brunches tend to offer more basic dishes, while lunch menus often offer exactly the same 'uniquely different' dishes that earn the restaurants their fame, but in slightly smaller portions at usually substantially reduced prices. The ambience is the same and often the views are better, since you're enjoying them in the full light of day. My wife and I stayed in Canterbury a few years back and drove the length of CT-169 to attend a niece's wedding in Massachusetts. It is a gorgeous road, and should be especially nice in spring. While we didn't eat fancy lunches out, and had breakfasts and dinners 'at home', we did particularly enjoy a stop we made at Roseland Cottage in Woodstock. One of its attractions is its gardens, making a good spring choice for a stroll and a look at how the other half used to live. There are docent led tours that are well worth it.