Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Groundhog Days Are Coming

February 1st to 4th

Once again, Woodstock, Illinois will be hosting their annual celebration for the "overgrown rodent" prognosticator (as Bill Murray called him). Woodstock is where the movie "Groundhog Day" was filmed.

If you are in the Chicago area the early part of February, come on out.

There will be walking tours of the movie sites, a plague dedication, Groundhog Dance, movie symposiums, a "Lighting of the Groundhog", chili cookoff, and movie showing on the big screen in the movie theater where Murray did his Clint Eastwood impersonation.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-20-2007 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Preferred URL Format

Default Are you going?

If you go, please take some photos and send them to me.

Thanks,

Mark

Default We'll Be There

We will be there for the prognostication and on Saturday. Unfortunately, we don't have a digital camera and the regular one is broken. I'll make a report on it, though.

Default I Came, I Saw, I Froze

This was the first time I was actually able to see Woodstock Willie make his prediction.

Well, I was out on Woodstock Square, nice and early at 7:07 AM, pretty early for these retired old bones, to see what Willie had to say about the next six weeks.

We were serenaded by a German oompah band, one of whom was wearing liederhosen (in the 5 degree weather). Of course, they played the "Pennsylvania Polka" in honor of our friends out east in Punxsutawner, Pa., and then a rousing rendition of "Bear Down, Chicago Bears" in honor of our Super Bowl XLI- bound football team.

The mayor said a few words. Then, the deejay who kept repeating those famous words after Sonny and Cher sang "I Got You, Babe" got up and did his bit.

The unhappy groundhog was pulled out of his nice warm stump, and after a short consultation with the head honcho, said that he definitely did not see his shadow. That means an early spring, although, by the temperature, you can't convince me. Despite the frigidity, a round of applause and cheering went up from the chattering throng (about 150) into the wintry air.

Later, I bought a Ty Beanie Baby groundhog, born on this very date, Feb. 2, 2007.

Let's see if we have any "Groundhog Day" movie fans out there. Fill in the blanks said by the deejay, "Okay _____, rise and shine, and don't forget your _________ 'cause it's _____________ out there today."

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

Default That post had be laughing out loud!

Quote Originally Posted by RoadDog View Post
    We were serenaded by a German oompah band, one of whom was wearing liederhosen (in the 5 degree weather).
    Ya gotta love "anyone" who would wear those garments in public.
    and then a rousing rendition of "Bear Down, Chicago Bears" in honor of our Super Bowl XLI- bound football team.
    Maybe they didn't play it with sufficient gusto to overcome the future play on the field?
    The unhappy groundhog was pulled out of his nice warm stump, and after a short consultation with the head honcho, said that he definitely did not see his shadow. That means an early spring, although, by the temperature, you can't convince me. Despite the frigidity, a round of applause and cheering went up from the chattering throng (about 150) into the wintry air.
    What a great image! Thanks for going and sharing the "experience" with us!

Mark

Default Thanks

Yes, it was too bad about Da Bears, but one must remember, that great '85 team lost the NFC Championship Game in 1984 by a 23-0 score. This one, even with Gross Rexman, excuse me, Rex Grossman, is ahead of that one.

I did go back to Woodstock the next day and enjoyed the free screening of the movie, and the chili cookoff-although one person had VERY hot chili, I think they put some haberneros into the mix. Very nasty experience.

They we went for the site walk with Bob Hudgins, the guy responsible for recommending Woodstock as the site for the movie. This was VERRY VERRYY freezing. I even left the group early to make my way to the Moose Lodge which was being plaqued. I could only hope while I was approaching the doors, that they weren't going to be locked. I think I'd have frozen with my gloved hands clutching the entrance bar.

We then had a seminar on the movie and discussed movies that influenced this one as well as the religious connotations of it. Who'd have thought.

Default Congrats to Woodstock

Woodstock, Illinois, has been placed on this year's National Trust for Historic Preservation's list of distinctive destinations for travelers. It "represents the very best of small-town America."

Woodstock is located about 40 miles northwest of Chicago and hosts many festivals throughout the year in its historic 1850s square. Besides the Groundhog Day festival, there is also one for Dick Tracy (even a museum in the 1850s courthouse). The creator of the strip lived here for many years.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway to Woodstock. --RoadDog
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-19-2007 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Added links to some of the festivals

Default Groundhog Day is Coming Again--2008 Version

Experience a smalltown celebration for a furry resident, Woodstock Willie. Punxsutawny may have its Phil, but we have Willie.

From Jan. 27-Feb. 3rd, Woodstock will again be having its annual celebration honoring its role as the primary filming site for that great Bill Murray "Groundhog Day" movie. It definitely ranks as one of my favorites.

Events take place starting with a pancake breakfast on Jan. 27th, but swing into high gear Friday, Feb. 1st with the 6 pm Lighting of the Groundhog and the dinner-dance at the Moose Lodge (where the party scene was filmed).

Saturday, Feb. 2nd, Woodstock Willie makes his prognostication at 7:07 am. At 10 am, a free showing of the movie will be shown at the Woodstock Theater (where Bill did his Clint Eastwood impersonation). Noted storyteller Jim May will give his take on groundhogs and there will be a chili cookoff.

A walking tour of movie sites will be at 1:30 pm. The alley where the old man died will be plaqued and later there will be a movie symposium.

Much of this will be repeated Sunday.

So, if you're in the area, northwest of Chicago near the Wisconsin border, come on down.

Nuts for that Hog. --RoadDog

Default Hard to imagine

It is hard to believe that it is already that time of year again!

Mark

Default I would love to visit Willie

Quote Originally Posted by RoadDog View Post
    Let's see if we have any "Groundhog Day" movie fans out there. Fill in the blanks said by the deejay, "Okay _____, rise and shine, and don't forget your _________ 'cause it's _____________ out there today."
    Or Phil, for that matter. Too-too far away for me right now. But I would love to do this someday. Thanks for the 08 update!

Since nobody answered this from 2007: "Okay, campers, rise and shine, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooooollllllddddd out there today."

Do I win a free trip to meet Willie?