1. Default College Park, MD to Roswell, NM....FEB.

A friend and I are leaving from college park, MD (The University of Maryland), and traveling to Roswell NM and back. Here are our currently planned routes:

This is our tentative route for the way there:

And this is our tentative route for the way back:

I've never gone this far on a roadtrip, or on this route, so I don't know what to expect. Any tips, great places to not miss, and any other advice is GREATLY appreciated.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 01-20-2007 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Preferred link format. Removed whitespace

Tucson, AZ

Default Everybody's a Bit Different...

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums! without knowing what you and your friend are interested in, it's hard to say exactly what you really must not miss along either route. But, just a few of the major attractions along your two routes would be:

Out: Shenandoah National Park (the Blue Ridge Parkway will most probably be closed due to snow), Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Hot Springs National Park and the Sixth Floor Museum.

Back: The Oklahome City National Memorial, St. Louis, a drive up the Ohio River Valley on US-52, and close to home, Fort Frederick.

3. Default

well, we're two college students taking a week off from classes. So we have about 7 or 8 days for our trip. I imagine the first 24 hours to be almost all driving just to get ahead of the game and leave more time for stopping later in the trip.

We're excited about hitting roswell, and on the way back parts of old route 66.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default An Idea Worth Reconsidering

I know your idea sounds like its is full of exciting possibilities, I really think you are setting yourself up for a disaster.

Driving for 24 straight hours, even with 2 drivers, isn't safe and it certainly isn't fun. In reality, it wouldn't even get you "ahead of the game" because once you got to your destination you would be so exhaused, you would need at least a couple days to recover and get ready for your trip back home.

The fastest I could ever recommend covering this 1800+ mile distance is 3 days. Even that is on the upper edge, requiring you to be on the road for a minimum of 11 hours each day. Over 1 day, 600 miles is a long day, by day three, even at that pace, mild fatigue typically is starting to set in.

With only 7 or 8 days, I really think you need to reconsider your destination. Unless 3 days of a speed run, followed by a day or two in NM, and then another 3 day speed run back home is a good time. BTW, even that leaves little to no time for any exploration of Route 66.

I'm sorry to be the barer of bad news, but you are really just trying to do too much with too little time. Trying to do a trip of this scale with just a week of time is the kind of trip that is usually very memorable - but filled with the kind of memories you wish you could forget.

Tucson, AZ

Default Be the Tortoise, not the Hare

When I first moved to Tucson from the east to attend grad school, I made the trip in 4 days. But more to the point, my jumping off point was also suburban DC, and I made it to Clovis, NM in three days even though I was pulling a trailer. So, I think your trip is doable with some caveats. Michael is absolutely right in that your plan to go 24 hours straight at the start is counter-productive. Rather, if you want to spend a couple of days in the Roswell area, I'd strongly suggest that you treat this as a marathon. Especially on your westbound leg, take the shortest most efficient route possible, get a good early start each morning, and knock off for the day not long after the sun goes down. Even if you take 2 or 3 breaks during the day to get out of the car and take re-invigorating walks through towns or local parks, you should be able to cover around 600 miles a day. Enjoy your time in Roswell, and then you can start your trip home with some experience and yardsticks. If you found the trip out a challenge, then just repeat it without additions on the way home. Remember, that whereas you gained an hour each day going west due to time zone changes, you're going to lose an hour each day going east, making each day two hours shorter! But, if you found the trip out easy, or start home with a little more time than you took to get to Roswell, then and only then should you consider alternate routes, side trips, stops, or back roads.

For more hints on long-range, speed runs like this, check out these helpfull hints.

6. Default

We're not driving 24 hours straight, we're just planning on driving more our first day than in other days. We've seen alot around MD, and since most of the first day will be just driving through Virginia, we really aren't too interested in it. Our goal is Roswell and back, leaving school and getting away from everything.