Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Los Angeles to San Franciso (Mid March 07)

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are travelling to the West Coast (from Australia) in mid March (9th March to 23rd March). We are planning on doing a road trip between Los Angeles and San Francisco as part of the trip. At present we are considering taking about 4 nights and travelling along Highway 1.

We were wondering whether it would be necessary to pre-book accommodation along this route at this time of the year, which I believe is still off-peak, or whether it would be reasonably easy to find accommodation (B&B etc) at this time?

The reason behind this is that we would rather not tie ourselves down to a schedule of set stops between LA and San Fran.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

burke_88

Default Nice time of year

Quote Originally Posted by burke_88 View Post
    My girlfriend and I are travelling to the West Coast (from Australia) in mid March (9th March to 23rd March). We are planning on doing a road trip between Los Angeles and San Francisco as part of the trip.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! March can be a very nice time to travel along the coast as the fog banks will be less thick than in the summer months (hotter).
    At present we are considering taking about 4 nights and travelling along Highway 1
    Wow, that sounds heavenly to be able to take four days to drive this route. I wouldn't worry about needing to make reservations -- except that part of this period will be during the annual spring (school) break and some of the resorts might be booked.

There are dozens of posts about traveling along the coast on this Forum -- use the search utility and look at the bottom of the pages you are viewing -- the "similar thread utiity is always perfect, but it is a good navigation tool"

Here is a thread to help get you started and the guide book we use when planning a trip along this route is this one.

Happy Planning!

Mark

We have done that trip there are so many things to see, we stayed at Deetjens Inn what a great place, we are going back in Sept and staying there again already booked the accom and make sure you have dinner you will need to book, Solvang is good hearst castle will take you longer then you think if you are into that type of stuff.

Enjoy the trip you will have fun
    Johng
    Melbourne
    Australia
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-19-2007 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Preferred URL Format

4. Default Trip Update & More Questions

First of all, thank you for your responses.

We have revised our trip a little and will only have 3 nights to get between LA and San Fran, but we figure this should still allow us to get a bit in without rushing.

I have a couple of additional questions I was hoping someone could assist me with.

We are hiring a car as mentioned in my original post. At the moment, we are considering getting a Ford Mustang convertable to make to driving a bit of fun. This is a 4L V6 so I am curious as to roughly how much it is going to cost me in gas between LA and San Fran.

The other questions relates to the end of our trip. We need to get back to LA from Las Vegas to fly home. We are debating whether to fly or drive. The drive option would either be a straight drive from Las Vegas to LA or we might consider an overnight stop. Would it be worth taking in the scenery between Las Vegas and LA?

Thanks,

burke_88

Default Use the Fuel Cost Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by burke_88 View Post
    At the moment, we are considering getting a Ford Mustang convertable to make to driving a bit of fun. This is a 4L V6 so I am curious as to roughly how much it is going to cost me in gas between LA and San Fran.
    Well, if you were to use our Fuel Cost Calculator and you assumed the EPA fuel rating (which is very optimistic) at 28 mpg -- then the cost would be about $36.00
    The other questions relates to the end of our trip. We need to get back to LA from Las Vegas to fly home. We are debating whether to fly or drive. The drive option would either be a straight drive from Las Vegas to LA or we might consider an overnight stop. Would it be worth taking in the scenery between Las Vegas and LA?
    If you drove straight thru from Las Vegas to LAX it would be a 5-6 hour trip. There is plenty to see and do between these two places -- Death Valley, Mojave Desert Preserve, Old Route 66...

Mark

Burke 88

Word of warning when hiring a car when we did this trip we did the same and it was not until we went to book into a motel in San Fran that we relised the hire company blocked out our whole credit card luckly we had another but the hotel receptionist relised we had hired a car and told us to hand the car back and the CC would be fine. We intended to anyway this just made us do it quicker. We flew out from San Fran.

Enjoy the trip

7. Default Thank you...

I just wanted to thank you all for your advice. The information provided has been very useful. We are both really excited about the trip now.
    Last edited by burke_88; 01-24-2007 at 06:16 PM.

8. Default Satellite Navigaton?

Hi again,

We have most of our trip organised now - thanks for your advice / direction.

One thing that we are still stuck on is whether we would need Satellite Navigation in the car we are hiring. Unfortunately we found out that the Mustang is not available with this (except through a 3rd party that will work out more expensive than the car hire).

I guess my main concern is having difficulty navigating out of LA and into San Fran. Do you think a street directory or pre-printed maps would be OK for this (considering I have a co-pilot :))?

Thanks,

burke_88

Default How did we ever survive before 1999?

I can see where a navigational system might be useful for a foreign visitor, but I woudl hardly call it a necessity. I've never used one, and don't have plans to ever add one to my wishlist.

People were taking roadtrips long before there was ever GPS technology. Grab some paper maps, study them a bit with your co-pilot, and you'll be fine!

10. Default GPS or map?

Having done this trip as an Australian tourist (and navigator!) a few years ago I had the same qualms as you. Would I be able to find the way by map or would we be lost forever in the seemingly endless flyovers? The good news is that signage is very, very good. If you can navigate through any Australian capital you won't have any major dramas in the US. In my experience, the road signs and the road numbers indicated on the maps actually matched each other (unlike some of the roads and signs in Ireland, but that's a different story...) and there was plenty of pre-warning signs before you actually have to turn anywhere. As a good tip, I always keep a list of the road numbers that I need that day handy - it is so much easier spotting a number on a piece of paper and matching it to a number on a sign than trying to remember street names or find them on a map, particularly when gaping at the amazing scenery at the same time. This is also a very effective method for navigating on a motorbike - just list out the road numbers that you need and keep it in your tank bag (or console in a car). If you turn the wrong way (left instead of right or vice versa), at least you are on the right road even if you are going in the wrong direction. It all comes out in the wash eventually!