1. Default Hwy 50 California to Maryland

Hello all,

I am planning on taking a road trip, on Hwy 50, starting in CA, going to MD and then back, sometime in mid August through mid September. I've never done anything of this scale before and am looking for advice. Specficially I'm looking for advice on:

-Timing: will 4 weeks be enough?
    -Sights: is there anything I should not miss?
    -Anything I should avoid?
    -What would be a good alternate route to return (I'd prefer not to come back the same way I went)?
    -Should I rent a car or just use my own?
    -Any other advice or suggestions?

Thanks,
    -SJB

Default Find your purpose

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

4 weeks should give you enough time to explore this route. You'll have 2-3 weeks to explore one way, depending upon how and where you head back the other direction.

There are plenty of things to do and see along this route, however, without knowing what your goals, and reasons for picking this type of trip, its hard to make good recommendations. The same is true for a return route, you'd have a million options, depending upon what interests you.

In terms of other general advice in terms of getting ready for your trip, be sure to check out the articles RTA's Planning section.

The question about taking your own car or renting depends on a couple of things. What kind of car do you have, is it in good condition, and is it a car you'd want to take cross country? A rental car will cost quite a bit more up front, but you would get to drive a new car and you wouldn't have to worry about paying for repairs if you did run into a mechanical problem. Personally, I've never rented a car for a roadtrip because I like driving my own vehicle, and I'd rather not pay the expense of renting, but there are advantages and situation where renting makes good sense.

3. Default

Well my main reason for going is just to go. I'd like to see different parts of the country. It going to be kind of a honeymoon trip, as I will have just gotten married a month before. We like national parks, historical sites and other stuff like that. Other than that I think we're just looking for an adventure.

-SJB

Default Jaime Jensen's book

Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    Well my main reason for going is just to go. I'd like to see different parts of the country. It going to be kind of a honeymoon trip, as I will have just gotten married a month before.
    Congratulations on the pending wedding! Jamie has recently revised his classic book "Road Trip USA" and his section on US-50 is still the best resource guide out there.

Mark

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Then you should...

...take a look at this post to find attractions along the Utah-Nevada stretch of U.S. 50

Have a wonderful trip and congratulations!
    Gen