1. Default roadtrip from Fort McMurrayAB to Arizona?

My familly is planning to travel from Fort McMurray Alberta to Arizona we have 3 young children and we hope to get there in about 5 days but we would like to see things on the way any suggestions would be great what route and such thanks

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Long Haul

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You'll certainly be going through a lot of different terrains during your 2100 mile trip south. Do I dare even ask how cold it is 600 miles north of the US border?

5 days should give you enough time to make this trip, but I don't think you'll have a whole lot of time for sightseeing. Your general route would take you to Edmonton, then down highways 2, 3, and 4 to the US border. From there you can take I-15, which takes you all the way to the Northwest tip of Arizona.

Depending upon where you are heading, you can either take I-15 all the way to Las Vegas, and then cut back into Arizona - which would involve the most highway miles. You could also cut over to US-89 in Utah, and follow that down to Flagstaff. Its more direct, and it does take you through some great scenic areas, but its a lot of slower 2 lane driving.

Your route takes you past some of the most popular National Parks in the US, including Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Bryce Canyon, Zion, and the Grand Canyon just to name a few of the things that are close to your route.

However, with only 5 days, you probably won't have a whole lot of time for sightseeing. 500 miles a day is usually a pretty full day, especially when you have kids in the car, and you'd need at least 4 of them just to cover the distance. But you've also got some major stretches, both from your starting point to Edmonton, and then probably again from Utah to Flagstaff, where you'll be on slower 2 lane roads. That will put some significant limits on the amount of sightseeing you'll be able to do in 5 days.

Good luck and stay warm!