1. Default AGH!!!! LA to NY - HELLLLLLLP ME!!!

Hey Gang - Okay, so this is my first roadtrip and (of course) I'm doing it in the WINTER! I won't have a lot of $$$ as I'm driving back to NY for classes and want to do it in no more than 5 days. After 15 years I'm returning to school to finish my undergraduate degree...could say its my New Years resolution to myself. So, I need some help figuring out a route, words to the wise and any thoughts steeped in thrift. Some + mojo wouldn't hurt either! I'm driving from LA and planning on leaving next friday (1/12) for this (ahem!) adventure. Thanks - Scott.

Tucson, AZ

Default It's Not an Adventure, It's a Job

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

First of all, congratulations on returning to school. I did the same thing myself at the advanced age of 35. It's a lot different than when you're 18, that's for sure.

Five days is the minimum you'll need to get across the country, and at that you're going to have to keep up a pretty steady pace of 550-600 miles a day. The shortest route is I-15/I-40/I-44/I-70/I-76/I-80/I-78. It's actually a lot easier than it sounds! But avoiding any weather delays is going to be essential. So you should also be aware of your options if there are adverse conditions forecast along that route. At the extreme, you could take I-10/I-20/I-85/I-95. This would add an additional 230 miles to your trip, or 50 miles a day. It's also possible that the bad weather will be in the southern and central states in which case you could take a northern route: I-15/I-70/I-76/I-80. This route only adds about 80 miles to the shortest, central, route. The point is that you have several good options, and only you can decide which best suits you, and that will largely depend on how the weather develops between now and then.

As for some basic money saving tips, check out the Art of the Cheap RoadTrip.

Last edited by AZBuck; 01-03-2007 at 09:57 PM. Reason: I-80! You're going east-west!

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Hey, I did it, too!

I got my degree when I was 39. It'll be great!

I think the biggest cost-saving measure for you will be on food. Pack a cooler with protein bars, fruit, sliced veggies, cheese, sliced meats, granola, crackers, etc. Replenish at grocery stores...the deli sections are especially helpful...but not at high-priced mini-marts.

You can save on hotels by using any discount cards you have. AAA is a good investment for roadtrippers and gives you some good discounts. So you could do that. And at some visitor centers, especially the bigger ones you will see at some statelines, you can pick up discount books with coupons for savings on hotels.

I usually suggest camping but winter camping is too cold and wet for me so, unless you're real hearty, I would skip that and look for those hotel discounts.