Thread: Advice Needed

1. Default Advice Needed

Myself and two others have started making plans for a 15 day road trip from Cincinnati to Vegas and back. This is my first time planning for a road trip over 4 hours long and I would love for some advice on towns and citys to visit and one's not to visit. We only plan to stay in Vegas two days and travel the rest.

Any great camping spots in Colorado or Arizona? If you have any useful information on any subject for a trip like these I'll be glad to hear it.

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Every destination is worth the trip

Hi and welcome to the RTA Forums,

We'd be more than glad to help you with attractions and cool cities to visit, but you need to tell us more about yourself. Tell us about your interests and we'll provide you with sound suggestions. You can also use the search function at the top of this page to find recent threads about similar topics. A great start would be to use a map and put dots where you absolutely want to go (must sees, friends or relatives who live along the way, etc.) and see what would be the easiest route to connect the dots. Then, you can use search engines or order State-by-State guidebooks online and search for cities, national parks and roadside Americana that exist in between. This is one way to get started. To learn more, visit our RoadTrip Planning section.

I would love for some advice on towns and citys to visit and one's not to
    We have a golden rule here that every place is worth the trip and no place is boring. Of course some cities have bad reputations, but that does not necessarily dismisses them as potential destinations.

Happy planning!
    Gen

3. Default

Actually have already started putting pins in a map. Place's we have interest in are Phoenix, Salt Lake, Dallas, and Los Angeles. We have an Idea of the the States we will be traveling through from Cincinnati to Vegas we will probably go through Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Utah and Nevada. On the way back to Cincinnati we would Like to go through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Arkansas, Tennesse then back through Kentucky.

We are limited to a 2 week trip and though that may not be much time to have time in every state I hope to have a good Idea on which place's we will be staying in the longest.

My friends and I are interested in Camping in Colorado and Arizona. We will probably have a day in Salt lake cause I have a friend who live's their but thats all we know for sure. As I said I know we will not be able to stay in certain areas for a prolonged amount in time but want to make the most of are trip.

I would say we all have a interest in history and the arts.

Default routes and attractions

Place's we have interest in are Phoenix, Salt Lake, Dallas, and Los Angeles. [...] We are limited to a 2 week trip
    I typed all of those cities in a mapping software, including Las Vegas. You're looking at a total of roughly 4725 miles, striclty using interstates : I-74, I-80, I-15, I-10, I-20, I-30, I-40, I-65 and I-71. Considering you plan on spending 2 full days in Las Vegas in addition to a whole a day in SLC, this means you will have to drive an average of ~394 miles/day for 12 days. You won't have much time to fool around, but it is doable. Personally, I think I would head straight to Vegas, drop Salt Lake City and maybe even L.A. and spend more time around Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico. There are so many places to see around L.A., I'd save it for another trip, especially if you're travelling on 15 days schedule.

My friends and I are interested in Camping in Colorado and Arizona.
    National Parks and State Parks (CO, AZ) usually have great campsites. BLM sites (CO, AZ) are generally rustic and less crowded and therefore offer more privacy but usually less facilities. Last time I went to AZ, I camped along the Mogollon Rim at Christopher Creek campground near Payson on highway 260. It's a cheap, beautiful and quiet place to camp during the week. They don't have any shower, but you can wash in the creek. It is pretty shallow, but if you look closely, it has some deeper pools.

I would say we all have a interest in history and the arts.
    If you take I-80 west through Nebraska to get to SLC, remember that there are some pretty cool Oregon Trail sites just off the interstate. If you'd like to follow the trail more closely, get off the interstate at Ogallalla and follow route 26 all the way to I-25 in Wyoming.

If you enjoy moderate hiking, stop by Arches NP and hike to Delicate arch. It's a very easy trekk and the view you get from the top is absolutely breathtaking. Explore Moab art galleries (like this one), a couple of miles south of Arches.

In SLC visit Temple Square of course. In Las Vegas, the Strip seems to attract more people, but I always prefered the old part of Las Vegas with its neon signs, wedding chapels, shady motels and Americana of all sorts.

In L.A., check out Mission San Fernando Rey de Espana and Autry Museum of Western Heritage. The Panza collection at the MOCA is also worth a look if you are into pop art and post-minimalism.

Arizona and south western Colorado are filled with history, Native American Indian sites, artefacts, museums and of course, incredible scenery. Check out Monument Valley, take a tour of Antelope Canyon or Canyon De Chelly, Mesa Verde NP, Fort Bowie, the Apache Trail, old mining towns such as Bisbee or Jerome, Tombstone (tourist trap but a fun one). Tucson & Sedona in AZ and La Mesilla & Santa Fe in New Mexico are all very artsy and new age styled cities where you can find plenty of art galleries, excellent food and old restored downtown areas (ex. : adobe buildings and western museums).

Hope this helps a bit.
    Have a nice trip!
    Gen

5. Default

Thanks for the help! We are still in the beginning stages of the trip and your advice has helped. The plan so far is really to leave on the first of June spend a night in St. Louis with a friend then after that its all up in the air.

Now I know this might sound a little strange but I am a HUGE geek when it comes to things like Area 51. Lets say we wanted to do some star gazing and wanted to just camp out in the Nevada dessert anything you know of around that area, thoughts, or Ideas?

Like I said earlier we are still in the early stages of getting idea's of what we want to do and what we want to pass up on. The only things we know for sure are Vegas, and to do some camping around Colorado junction and the Phoenix Area.

This will be the first major road trip I have been on. The furtherest I have driven is to Florida from the Cincinnati area and back.

Default I doubt you can legally do that...

...but I really don't know for sure.

However, I'm thinking you might enjoy a stay at the Little Ale'Inn.

7. Default Camping in Rachel, Nevada

I noted that you could camp in Rachel Nevada, where the Little Ale'Inn is located. ($12 a night) They would also probably be a good source for local camping regulations and locations.

8. Default BLM lands in Nevada

If you're really interested in camping out in the middle of nowhere, you can if you're on BLM lands that aren't closed for any reason (ecological usually -- protecting over used areas, nesting grouds, etc). I checked one of the BLM regional sites in Nevada and it states that if you're on BLM lands, you may camp anywhere on Public Lands as long as you are at least 100 yards away from any isolated water source (stock tanks, ponds, springs) so that wildlife, wild horses and livestock are not denied easy access to the water. You may camp for up to 14 days in one location on public lands, but then must move at least 25 miles before establishing a new camp. Day use fees may be charged in developed campgrounds for picnicking and all undeveloped lands may be used free of charge for picnicking or general recreation.

Now, you need to figure out of the land you want to camp on is BLM lands -- which a large chunk of Nevada is. To do that you need to check a detailed map of the area, or obtain a map from the local BLM office for the area in Nevada. You can find these offices using an internet search engine.

Default Camping options and UFO's

Lets say we wanted to do some star gazing and wanted to just camp out in the Nevada dessert anything you know of around that area, thoughts, or Ideas?
    Even though I doubt you'd get discovered by anybody while camping a few miles off the road in most of the Central Nevada desert, I wouldn't recommend it. Since you don't necessarily know whose land you are trespassing and what possible threats you might encounter (wild animals, hunters, quicksand, etc.) while camping there, it wouldn't be safe for any of you to do so.

I think the best way for you to camp in the "open" would be to head to the Toiyabe or Humboldt National Forest areas. If you do "dispersed camping" as they put it, you might not have shower on premises, but you wouldn't be bothered by other campers and I'm sure they have cheaper rates that most private campgrounds. I've never camped there but I can tell you the scenery in central Nevada is generally awesome.

Another option would be the Desert National Wildlife Refuge just off US 95 north of Las Vegas.

Now I know this might sound a little strange but I am a HUGE geek when it comes to things like Area 51.
    Here's an article about the Extraterrestrial Highway (NV-375). Don't forget to fill on alien jerky and burgers while you're there:o) If you plan on going through New Mexico on your way back, stop by Roswell, another must see for all UFO aficionados .

Gen