SuperNY Guest

Default Driving to Buffalo- pondering over Toronto issue

I'll be driving up to Buffalo to meet my parents for two days in five days. I'm sure that I'll definitely be going to Niagara Falls, but I was wondering if Toronto is a possibility (for a day trip). Has anyone here been to Toronto? Is it a tourist-worthy city? I mean, I don't want to be disappointed. Please, I need to know.

Default Yes

Quote Originally Posted by SuperNY View Post
    I'll be driving up to Buffalo to meet my parents for two days in five days.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    but I was wondering if Toronto is a possibility (for a day trip). Has anyone here been to Toronto? Is it a tourist-worthy city?
    Well, on the two times I have been there I had alot of fun. There are several posts about Toronto on this Forum -- use the search function.

Mark
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 01-02-2007 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Fixed Quote Format

Default One of my favorites

I for one love visiting Toronto. Its a great city with tons of things to do. Here is some of the advice I got before I visited the city a couple years ago.

Don't forget your passports. Until January 2008, You can still cross the border with only a Drivers License AND a Birth Certificate, but having a passport will make the border crossing faster and easier.

4. Default

I live in Buffalo and drive to Toronto about 12-15 times a year. it's a 2 hour drive, though if you keep pace on the highway between Buffalo and Toronto, it's closer to 90 at times.

Toronto's a good time and definitely worth going to.

The border crossing from Buffalo to Ontario is very easy and laid back. Your driver's license should and will be fine. They've never given myself nor my friends and hassle with out of state IDs even.

Good luck and don't forget to spend time in Buffalo! There's a lot of really great things right here in the city.

Default Not advice that I'd recommend

The border crossing from Buffalo to Ontario is very easy and laid back. Your driver's license should and will be fine. They've never given myself nor my friends and hassle with out of state IDs even.
    Its possible that you can cross the border without the proper paperwork, I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

Without the required legal documents, you are totally at the mercy of the person at the checkpoint. I was in Canada just last week, and they didn't even look at my ID going into Canada, but they were checking everyone going back to into the US when I crossed back at Niagara.

A drivers license proves Identity, but it does not prove citizenship. Without proof of citizenship, border officials have every right to refuse entry or detain you until you can provide proof of your citizenship. And Yes, I do know people who have spent several hours in a holding cell waiting for someone to bring a copy of their birth certificate. To me, its just much easier to bring the required documents and not risk a significant headache.

Absolutely it's possible. And absolutely it should be done. It's an easy drive once you're over the bridge and the CN Tower alone would be worth that trip on it's own. But there's so much more to do than that. But make sure you do go up it! I was in Toronto in 2005 but managed to pick the only day of our stay that was cloudy! grr

And, ref the passport thing, if you have a passport do yourself a favour and take it. There was a local (Buffalo he said) who was in front of us in the queue. The immigration guys were giving him a real hard time when he tried to cross back to the US side. They weren't remotely interested in his pleading that he made the crossing 2 or 3 times a week and he could point to his car in the parking lot outside, even offering them his keys so they could go check he was telling the truth.

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Better be safe than sorry

I agree with Michael. I cross the border back and forth at least once a week and it always worked out well with only my driver's licence but I always have an official copy of my birth certificate in the car just in case. I also learned that when an agent doesn't like your face or attitude for some reason, he'll do or ask anything to keep you waiting longer than necessary. A birth certificate is definitely a must have, especially on your way back to the U.S.

Gen