1. Default Moving from St. Louis to Seattle - with pets

My husband and I will be moving to Seattle once our home sells, and we will be traveling with our dog and cat. I have a few questions: 1) Can you recommend the best route in February or March, 2) Do you know of any hotels along the way that cater to pets? Thanks!

Default Beyond Our Ken

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There is no single or easy answer to your questions, but here's what help I can offer. There are two main routes that connect those two city pairs. Both routes start out by following I-70 to Kansas City and then heading north on I-29. At this point, the northern route continues on I-29 to Sioux Falls and then takes I-90 west to Seattle. The southern route turns west on I-80 (using NE-2 as a connector) to the Salt Lake City area and then heads up to Seattle via I-84/I-82/I-90. The two routes differ by only about 30 miles in total distance. You can also start on one route and switch to the other via I-25 or I-15. The point of knowing all this is that the best route will depend on the weather, and there is simply no way to know this ahead of time with absolute certainty. You will need to see how things develop, make your initial choice a few days before departure, and be willing to change your plans en route if conditions demand it.

The pet situation is a bit more complex. Most national motel chains are actually collections of individually owned units and each unit (location) sets its own pet policy. I can tell you that most motels that do allow pets, have a limit of one per room and/or a weight limit (typically 15 pounds) on the size of the animal. You will simply have to check with the specific motels you plan to stay at. Sadly, this is at odds with your need to stay flexible on your route and timing to deal with weather changes. We do have regular contributors who regularly travel with their pet, and maybe they will be offer better news or more specific advice.

AZBuck

3. Default AAA guidebooks

I've traveled with a pet once or twice. To find which hotels accepted pets, I used the AAA tourbooks, which have a fairly extensive listing of hotels/ motels in them. The list in the books indicates which hotels accept pets, although my experience was that you needed to call the hotel and ask them directly as well -- apparently some hotels have a limited number of rooms they have set aside for pet owners & pets, and these can get filled up; or the information may be out of date The price varied as well -- from free, to about $25 for the pet to stay with us.

Default Many of the chains do

Quote Originally Posted by STL2Seattle_March View Post
    Do you know of any hotels along the way that cater to pets? Thanks!
    Nearly all La Quinta and Holiday Inn Express accept pets. Plus we have a couple of excellent articles about traveling with pets --this one has some practical tips and this one has info about pet restraint systems.

Mark

5. Default Specific AAA Book

Hi, Welcome to Seattle! I purchased a book directly from AAA "Traveling With Your Pet - The AAA PetBook". They list over 10,000 pet-friendly lodgings in the same format as their standard lodging books...I found it very helpful...

Default Thanks for the recommendation!

Quote Originally Posted by glenda View Post
    Hi, Welcome to Seattle! I purchased a book directly from AAA "Traveling With Your Pet - The AAA PetBook". They list over 10,000 pet-friendly lodgings in the same format as their standard lodging books...I found it very helpful...
    Glenda, Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum and thanks for the recommendation.

Mark

7. Default Thank you!

Thank you for your quick responses and helpful information. I'll look for the books your recommend!