Default ideas for driving solo NY to CA??

Here's my situation:

I am moving from NY to CA by myself in about a month. My plan is to just load up all my stuff in the back of my Jeep (I don't have much) and just go. I'm thinking this is probably the best time for me to see the country. It's something I've always wanted to do, and doing it by myself means complete freedom to do what I want. I'll be stopping in Milwaukee for a week or two because I have friends and family there. After that, I'm off. I'm not on any real time constraints, although I'd like to get there before I go broke and max out my credit cards. I figured a week or 2 should be enough time to see most of the country.

So, basically I'm looking for advice of just about any kind -- things I should see, tips I could use on the road, etc. I browsed these forums and found some pretty good stuff so far, but if anyone else has some input it will help. Thanks.

Default I don't know about "most"

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I don't think you'll be able to see "most" of the country in a week or two. In reality, even if you had a year or two, you still would only be stratching the surface.

Of course, that doesn't mean you can't have a great trip. Generally speaking, you need about a week to drive across the country in a semi-speed run fashon. So having up to two weeks will give you a nice opportunity to see a lot of neat things. If you haven't yet, I'd recommend reading some of the articles in the travel planning section of the RTA website. They have a wealth of good general information to help you on your way.

If you have some more specific questions, by all means, post them, and you're sure to get some great answers.

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default northern route?

Hi Squizzle and welcome to RTA!

I am moving from NY to CA by myself in about a month. My plan is to just load up all my stuff in the back of my Jeep (I don't have much) and just go.
    Sounds good. I've always wanted to do that, but my final destination would be Arizona:o)) Check this post about long distance solo road trips.

I'll be stopping in Milwaukee for a week or two because I have friends and family there.
    In that case, maybe you should take the northern route. I saw in your short bio that you liked music and movies. Here's our homemade list of road movies. There are some music museums where you could stop along the way. We also have a list of road tunes and other road music you might enjoy.

After that, I'm off. I'm not on any real time constraints, although I'd like to get there before I go broke and max out my credit cards
    Here's an article about saving money on the road to help you make it.

I figured a week or 2 should be enough time to see most of the country.
    In 2 weeks you can see a great deal of stuff but not the entire country, unless you are a super pro speed racer and in that case, you could cover a lot of ground but I guarantee you won't see anything but interstate pavement.

So, basically I'm looking for advice of just about any kind -- things I should see, tips I could use on the road, etc.
    We can't tell you about the must sees if you don't tell us about what you are looking for. A must see for one is not necessarily the same for another one.