Thread: Southwest Trip

1. Default Southwest Trip

Hi Everyone
    This is such a great forum - everyone is so helpful!
    I am from New Zealand but have lived in New York for the last 4 years.
    My boyfriend and I are planning to take a roadtrip sometime next year - we were thinking either June or September (outside of the school vacations).
    We are taking a week off work so have roughly 8-9 days.
    I was thinking of starting in New Mexico, driving up through the Southwest corner of Colorado (seeing Mesa Verde), across to Utah to one of the parks then down to the Grand Canyon.
    Any comments or suggestions on this rough itinerary, places to see/stay would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, we would be flying into one city, renting a car and then flying out of our destination city. Any comments on this plan (including suggested start/finish cities) would be appreciated as well.
    Many thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Tucson, AZ

Default Start Early with the Basics and Fill in from There

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

First of all, congratulations on starting your planning early enough to sort out all the possibilities that are available to you. The first thing to recognize is that there are 5 or 6 cities that could serve as your 'destination city'. Denver, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Albuquerque would all suit your needs. I think I'd start 2-3 months before you want to go and see where you can find your best deal, both for airfares and car rental costs. A rough loop through all the above cities would be a shade over 2100 miles, requiring that you drive 250-300 miles a day. That can be done, but if it strikes you as too much, then you're going to have to trim back on what you want to see a bit. The things that you can see on such a loop (described counter-clockwise from Denver) are: Rocky Mountain National Park, Dinosaur National Monument, Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, Capitol Reef National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, Zion National Park, Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest National Park, Canyon de Chelly National Monument, Monument Valley. Mesa Verde National Park, and Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. While there's no way you can see all of those locations in a week, they are the best of what's available to you. Also, with the number of national parks on the list, be sure to get a National Parks Pass, it will pay for itself with just a few park entrances.

3. Default

Great - thanks for all this info and for including all the links!