Default SoCal to Durango

I'm planning a trip around New Years from Orange County (Fountain Valley, Ca) to Durango (through Flagstaff), and am looking for the best/quickest/most interesting route to take..... When I use Mapquest, Google, etc, I get different "recommended" routes. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Default Welcome

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

I put these two addresses into Google and Mapquest, and the general route seems to be very similar. They also appear to be the quickest route.

Considering the time of year, you may have to alter your route based on the weather in the area. Additionally, the "most interesting" route may involve a different routing, depending on how much time you have. Given perfect conditions, this route is doable in a day (though I really wouldn't recommend it). What are your interests? Is there anything off of this direct route that you really would like to see? How much time do you have?

Looking at the ten-day forecast for Flagstaff and Durango, it looks like you'll have some decent weather on your drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Tim View Post
    Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

I put these two addresses into Google and Mapquest, and the general route seems to be very similar. They also appear to be the quickest route.

Considering the time of year, you may have to alter your route based on the weather in the area. Additionally, the "most interesting" route may involve a different routing, depending on how much time you have. Given perfect conditions, this route is doable in a day (though I really wouldn't recommend it). What are your interests? Is there anything off of this direct route that you really would like to see? How much time do you have?

Looking at the ten-day forecast for Flagstaff and Durango, it looks like you'll have some decent weather on your drive.
    I'm staying overnight in Flagstaff, then driving on to Durango the next day.... Which route would you recommend - east to Gallup on I40, then up through Farmington?? Or... North out of Flagstaff on 89, then N/E on Rt 160 to Cortez?? I'm looking for the quickest, with the better weather of the two if possible.

Once in Durango, we're there for 5 days - plan on riding the Durango-Silverton Train, ski at Purgatory, and maybe Telluride as well. Any must see destinations? I'm with my wife, and my 2.5 year old son..... I've heard the road to Ouray & Silverton can be a bit scary in winter, but has spectacular views, so we'll have to see.