Default Road Trip To the 4 Corners

Hi I am planning a road trip to the Arches National Park, Aztec NM then the four corners. Can anyone tell me what the weather is like in any of those areas. Are snow chains recommended.

This trip will take place end of December. We are coming from Phoenix and not much snow is around these parts.

Thanks!!

Happy Holidays!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 12-21-2006 at 01:06 PM. Reason: corrected typo

Default Snow on the rocks -- Gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by zoila View Post
    Hi I am planning a road trip to the Arches National Park, Aztec NM then the four corners.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Should be gorgeous. The Aztec Ruins National Monument site suggests that weather can be "...Winter daytime temperatures range between the 20° and 50° with cold nights that can reach 0°..." and the Arches National Park site suggests you be prepared for just about any kind of weather: "...Winter temperatures (December through February) often drop below 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Temperatures may range 50 degrees in a 24-hour period..." As a general rule, it is wise to carry snow chains anywhere in the west in the winter.

Mark

Default Phoenix to Las Vegas

Thank you Mark. I appreciate your advice.

While reading your post I noticed you are located in Las Vegas. I was born and raised in Las Vegas.

I plan to head to Las Vegas this weekend. I hear snow fell there not too long ago. It was recommended by some to purchase snow chains, living in Phoenix not too many stores sell snow chains, I've called.

I plan to purchase some if needed on my drive there. I plan to go through Wikinburg taking the 93/95 (one of those).

I think the drive there should be fairly safe, plan to leave in the morning. Any advice on this route would be appreciated.

Zoila

Default Snow-free road

Quote Originally Posted by zoila View Post
    While reading your post I noticed you are located in Las Vegas. I was born and raised in Las Vegas.
    We are transplants, we moved here in 2000.
    I plan to head to Las Vegas this weekend. I hear snow fell there not too long ago. It was recommended by some to purchase snow chains, living in Phoenix not too many stores sell snow chains, I've called.
    It will be a pretty drive. There is still snow on the hills surrounding Henderson. The surprising thing is that none fell in Summerlin, here in the southern part of the valley we received about 3/4 of an inch. The roads between Phoenix and Las Vegas should be dry and in good condition.

The only delay you ought to know about it, is the traffic construction around the dam bypass. It is still worth going that way -- you are going to be amazed with the progress of the new bridge, but sometimes the traffic gets really intense and it can take about an hour to get across the dam.

Mark