1. Default DFW to Los Angeles (please advise)

This is my first post. I'm looking to rent a minivan and travel from Dallas FortWorth to Los Angeles, CA. There are 2 routes that i can take, each with their pros and cons:

1. Take I-40
    + better scenery
    - higher elevation could mean snow. Im not sure if the current snow storm in Colorado will swoop down and affect travel in northern NM.

2. Take I-20 and I-10
    + lower elevation
    - less scenic
    - slightly longer drive

Note: I plan on taking a minivan with a total of 4 passengers. I would really like to travel on I40, but i'm having a hard time find the travel forecast on that interstate for some of the mountainous areas on the interstate. Is it safe to drive I40 without chains during this time of the year, or is the elevation too high to risk it.

Thanks in advance.
    Lyndon

Default When is this trip planned for?

Quote Originally Posted by lyndon_h View Post
    I'm looking to rent a minivan and travel from Dallas Ft. Worth to Los Angeles, CA.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum. Snow and Ice are always a possibility on both I-40 and I-10 in New Mexico and Arizona in the winter and early spring. Case in point, the snowstorm that blanketed Colorado over the last 24 hours has created very slippery and dangerous sections of I-40 in New Mexico.

As far as chains go on rental vehicles -- most rental companies prefer that you not use chains on their vehicles -- unless they supply them.
    I would really like to travel on I40, but i'm having a hard time find the travel forecast on that interstate for some of the mountainous areas on the interstate. Is it safe to drive I40 without chains during this time of the year, or is the elevation too high to risk it.
    New Mexico has a good road reporting system and they use also use the 511 system. If you click on the icons -- it gives current warnings and road conditons. It is a reallly easy to use system. Here is a link to Federal DOT 511 system for looking up current road conditions in any state in the USA.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 12-21-2006 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Added link to 511 systems

Default A little more info

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

When are you planning to depart on this trip? Its hard to say what weather you're looking at without knowing the exact dates. However, you should be able to get a general idea by looking at the forecasts for the major cities enroute (Albq and Flagstaff for I-40).

Chains would be recommended for either route this time of year, and if you're not going to carry them, you need to be prepared to wait out any bad weather you might encounter.

I think weather will ultimately be the deciding factor on which route is best for you. I see them as being nearly identical. The total travel time on each route should be almost identical, and I suspect I-10 would be slightly faster since it is all interstate. I also think they are both pretty scenic routes, but that as always is a matter of opinion.

4. Default re:

Thanks for the recommendations. I will be leaving tomorrow. I will go ahead and purchase chains for the van as i dont want to wait out any possible bad weather.

Default Exact trip is underway right now

Quote Originally Posted by lyndon_h View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations. I will be leaving tomorrow. I will go ahead and purchase chains for the van as i dont want to wait out any possible bad weather.
    We have house guests arriving from DFW tonight (we live in Las Vegas), I-10 is fine. I caution you again, if you put chains on a rental van you may be subject to host of fines....Look at the rental agreement.

I just heard from our roadtripping guests -- yesterday was very harrowing -- road conditions in Texas and New Mexico were frightful (and these are experienced winter drivers) so LOOK AT THE ROAD CONDITION REPORTS before you leave town and really make sure you need to make this trip tomorrow.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 12-21-2006 at 05:25 PM. Reason: updated at 4:30 pm pst