1. Default From Trenton, NJ to Nashville,TN

A friend and I are planning a nine day road trip from NJ to TN. Our destination is Nashville. I think we're hitting the following states:
    •Pennsylvania
    •Delaware
    •Maryland
    •DC
    •Virginia
    •Kentucky
    •Tennessee
    Any suggestions on places to visit, things to see, restaurants to eat at, along the way?
    We're also on the lookout for scenic landscapes and drives, so any route recommendations are also welcome.
    Thanks!

Default Is this a round-trip adventure?

Quote Originally Posted by headingout View Post
    A friend and I are planning a nine day road trip from NJ to TN.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Is Nashville your turn-around point (is this a round trip) or is this one-way? When is the trip planned for?
    Any suggestions on places to visit, things to see, restaurants to eat at, along the way?
    What kinds of places interest you -- if we knew a little more about your roadtripping profile, we could offer a bunch of ideas. Lynn's Paradise Cafe in Louisville, Kentucky might be out of the way but it is fun.
    Once we know when the trip will be we can offer some ideas for routes too.

Happy Planning!

Mark

3. Default

We're driving from Jan 3 to Jan 11. And it's going to be a round-trip. In terms of what we're looking for, I'd say quaint places to visit, natural beauty, fun cafes/ good music.
    I'm a foreigner, and I've always seen the roadtrip as the quintessential American experience, so I'm also looking to discover some of the real American flavor in each of those states.
    Last edited by headingout; 12-19-2006 at 08:53 PM.

Default Some Stops in the Mid-Appalachians

At this time of year, I'd suggest that you plan to use the Interstate highways (I-95, I-66, I-81, and I-40) for your trip, and then if the weather cooperates, you can wander off onto some side roads. Unfortunately, for example, Skyline Drive and the Blueridge Parkway are likely to be snowbound, but I-81 is a scenic alternative through the Shenandoah Valley. Towns like Lexington are just off the interstate as are oddities such as the giant pencil in Wytheville. Also, if the roads are clear, be sure to take a drive through Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Even though this will have to an in-and-out drive, it is well worth it.

As for finding good restaurants that offer real local flavor, the best advice I can give you is to find medium sized towns (say several thousand people) that are a few miles off the Interstate, drive through and look for where the locals are eating. Whatever you find will be a more interesting experience than eating at the chain restaurants at the exits.

AZBuck

5. Default

Thanks a lot for your suggestions!