1. Default Montreal to San Francisco

Hi everyone,

I'm moving from Montréal, Canada to San Francisco in February. I figured a road trip across the USA would be a fun way to get there. :)

We're planning to leave on the 25th of January (I start work in SF on the 5th of February). There would be 2 (possibly 3) drivers and we're planning roughly 7-8 days to do it. Does that seem reasonable?

I'm not moving anything big so I'm planning to just rent a car. Is anyone aware of a car rental company that would let me rent one across borders?

Here's a draft of the route we're planning. Each segment on the map would be one day of driving. I'm not really familiar with any of the cities between Chicago and SF so feel free to suggest anything fun along the way. I though Mount Rushmore would be interesting but it's quite a detour.

Thanks!

Default A real adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by bistro View Post
    I'm moving from Montréal, Canada to San Francisco in February. I figured a road trip across the USA would be a fun way to get there.
    Sounds perfect to us. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.
    There would be 2 (possibly 3) drivers and we're planning roughly 7-8 days to do it. Does that seem reasonable?
    Even with weather delays, it seems like a reasonable time span.
    I'm not moving anything big so I'm planning to just rent a car. Is anyone aware of a car rental company that would let me rent one across borders?
    Just about all national chains will allow border crossings, but there is surcharge and the distance from the rental location to the drop-off might be a problem. You might get a better deal if you do two rentals -- although both would have one-way drop-off fees.
    I though Mount Rushmore would be interesting but it's quite a detour.
    Your route can easily be adjusted to incorporate Mt. Rushmore and other areas in the Dakotas -- the problem might be the weather. Here is a field report that could cover much of your route (it was written for summer travel).

But there are plenty of gorgeous places on your route. I would actually suggest dropping down to I-70 and going over the Colorado rockies -- gorgeous in the winter. Here is a field report for the Utah portion of that route.

Mark

Default A feasable detour

While Mt. Rushmore isn't on the direct path for your trip, its close enough that you could work it in. Instead of heading to KC and Denver, make your stops in Sioux Falls or Mitchell, SD, and then in Rapid City, before working back down towards Salt Lake City. That really wouldn't be too much farther than what you are already planning.

KC and Denver aren't the direct route either, BTW. If you wanted to stick to the direct route, you'd be better off staying in Omaha/Lincoln and Cheyenne along I-80. However, I-70 would be a perfectly fine route too, especially if you followed it through Colorado and into Utah before cutting back to I-80 (as opposed to Google who suggests using I-25).