1. Default Trip from Sacramento to New Jersey

Hi
    My Husband and I are planning a road trip in february 2007 from west to east
    with our parents who are 65. They have come from India so we thought this may be a great way to have them experience US. Would like to kow what are the places we could see along this route that would be interesting
    (nature, wildlife and history)? Also would there be snow in late february in the central US and the rockies? What precautions do we need to take?

We have done road trips on highway1 from Sandiego to Cresent City and Oregon also to the Volcanic loop and Crater lake but these were in summer.

Jamu

Default You need to expect snow for the entire route

Quote Originally Posted by jamu View Post
    My Husband and I are planning a road trip in february 2007 from west to east
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! That time of year, is still the heart of winter and you need to expect snow and winter travel weather for the entire route.
    What precautions do we need to take?
    Here are some tips for winter driving and a few more that are slightly humorous.

Mark

3. Default Road trip across USA

Hi,
    As I had written before we plan to drive from the West coast (Sacramento) to the east coast (New Jersey). I had not planned the details before but now
    we have laid a tentative route from Sacramento to Las Vegas then to Hoover Dam, then across to Utah through Zion NP and Bryce Canyon and then to the Great Salt lake, then we continue toward South Dakota (Mount Rushmore) then towards Chicago ( LAke michigan) and towards lake Erie and then to NJ.
    We plan to do this journey in 8-9 days.

I would like to know if there are any interesting places to see between South Dakota and Chicago. Also where should we expect a lot of snow?

Thanks
    Jamu

Default So Much to Do - So Little Time

By the most direct routes possible, hitting all your stated destinations would require over 3400 miles. Many people find 500 miles a day to be an upper limit to how far they can drive in a day and still spend a minimum amount of time sightseeing. So you've really only got just about two days to spend really exploring these great parks and other locations. As Michael noted in his earlier response, driving for a week across America in February almost guarantees that you will suffer at least a minor weather delay. So your margin is very thin indeed. Which makes it all the sadder that there are so many interesting and intriguing places to visit in South Dakota alone.

AZBuck

5. Default Sacramento to New Jersey

Thanks,
    Yes I agree that there is lots to see and so little time, but this trip has a special meaning. My old parents are here and I want them to have a flavour of US, they have only so much time before the fly back home to India.
    Since they cannot hike too much, thought that driving through the national parks and then stopovers at scenic points and small walks would be great for them. This trip will also allow them to see how different the country is from coast to coast.

Just would like to know how to get detailed maps on the net,so that I can program my GPS and also study them beforehand.

Jamu

6. Default Hi again

We have finalised our travel plan, with a few modifications, we start on 22nd Feb and plan to reach on 28th or 1st.
    We intend on Day one to leave for Las Vegas early morning from Sacramento
    and reach there by 2.00pm then spend the evening catching the sights of the LV. From there next morning we plan to enter Utah and go through Zion, Bryce and stay near Canyon lands national Park. The next day we drive through Canyon lands, if we are early then also do the loop of Arches national park before hitting I-70 to colorado then a bit on US 50 till we get to Salida CO where we stay for the night. The next day we plan to go through Kansas and stay at Colby KS. Further on the I-70 we go to Columbia MO then stopover at SPringfield OH, Pittsburgh PA, and reach new NJ the following day.
    In all the trip would take us 8 days weather permitting otherwise another 2-3days more.

We have take all the winter precautions for our car and have all the gear...so hope it will be a memorable and grand trip for my parents.

Jamu

Default How fast can you drive?

Well, this sounds like quite an adventure! Just a couple of more thoughts for you as begin!
    Quote Originally Posted by jamu View Post
    We intend on Day one to leave for Las Vegas early morning from Sacramento and reach there by 2.00pm
    By the shortest possible route, it is 562 miles, which means that in order to reach Las Vegas by 2:00pm you will need to leave Sacramento by 5:00 am -- which I guess is doable, albeit tiring.
    From there next morning we plan to enter Utah and go through Zion, Bryce and stay near Canyon lands national Park.
    Um, there are no towns nearby Canyonlands NP -- where did you hope to stay? Monticello might be the closest.
    The next day we drive through Canyon lands,
    This is one of my favorite parks -- there are no loop roads into the region -- If you are planning on taking the Indian Creek Scenic Byway (UT-211) which is the main route into the vistor's center, it is one way in and one-way out and it will take 3-4 hours to make the journey...
    if we are early then also do the loop of Arches national park
    Um, there is no loop road in Arches either. It is one way in and one way out (unless you have an off-highway truck and lots of experience!!!!)
    before hitting I-70 to colorado then a bit on US 50 till we get to Salida CO where we stay for the night
    Sorry, but there is no way you can reach Salida if you start in Monticello and still plan to drive into both Canyonlands and Arches on the way!
    The next day we plan to go through Kansas and stay at Colby KS. Further on the I-70 we go to Columbia MO then stopover at SPringfield OH, Pittsburgh PA, and reach new NJ the following day.
    These days are pushing it too -- although you will be on Interstate highways and you might be able to keep up the pace. But you need to look at that second day some more.

I hope you tell us how it goes!

Mark