1. Default Houston-Las Vegas Drive

I'm planning to drive from Houston to Las Vegas next week and was hoping to get some advice. I'm giving myself about 2 1/2 days to get there, so while it's not a lot of time, I'm still hoping to avoid the interstate at times along the way. When I take road trips I tend to choose more secondary roads. Anyway, if anyone has any favorite stretches in West Texas and northern NM and AZ, I'd love to hear them. Also, any favorite stops in that general direction would be great too.

Thanks for any help.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Starlight Theater in Terlingua

Quote Originally Posted by mark_111 View Post
    I'm planning to drive from Houston to Las Vegas next week and was hoping to get some advice.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! I really love west Texas and one of my favorite places is Terlingua. Here is a recent article about Big Bend and the hot springs near Terlingua.

Happy Planning!

Tucson, AZ

Default Try a different Route Altogether

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

It sounds like you're planning to use I-45/US-287/I-40 as your basic route. There is another way: I-10/US93. Either way, Houston to Las Vegas is just a shade under 1500 miles, so 2½ days is pushing it, even if you stick to the Interstates. So I wouldn't go wandering too far afield, and you really won't have time for any but the most cursory stops. That said, keep in mind that on the northern I-40 route, US-287 will give you a long chunk of non-Interstate driving. On the southern I-10 route you will be on a fair stretch of two-lane blacktop through the Arizona desert between Phoenix and Kingman on US-93, but that can be a high speed, high traffic volume drive and doesn't qualify as a favorite of mine. If you really want to get some driving other than the direct Interstate route, and can add just a little time (say half a day) to your drive, then I'd recommend that you try the old US-66 alignment between Seligman and Kingman in northwestern Arizona as an alternative to I-40 or take US-70 and US-60 from Lordsburg, NM up to Phoenix as an alternative to I-10.

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Route 66

When driving through Northern AZ, you might find Old Route 66 between Seligman and Kingman to your liking. From there you could venture up over Hoover Dam to Vegas.

That's just my $0.02.